Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacintoshDude24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2020
London
Hi,

My Mac Pro 2,1 (upgraded from 1,1) decided not to fully boot up yesterday. It powers on but no chimes.

The following Diagnosis LEDs light up on power up.

LED 1 Trickle On (Yellow)
LED 8 EFI (Green)
All others are off.

I've tried multiple reboots with the following.

Swapped power supply with known PSU
Booted with no RAM risers and with a pair of known working chips (During start up the main power light doesn't blink so don't think it's RAM related.)
Removed all SSDs & HHDs
Removed all PCIe's inc graphics card
PRAM reset (although fairly sure the USB keyboard isn't making a connection)
NVRAM reset
SYS_Reset
Replaced CR2032 battery

Is there something else i could try or does it look like the Logic Board has failed?

I have another upgraded MP 2,1 (from 1,1) whose DIAG LEDs show CPU AB fails but the other key indicators are fine (Trickle, GPU, Power & EFI). So i thought i'd bite the bullet and swap out the CPU's from the mac above and try and resurrect this one. Sadly after swapping out the X5365s with the known working pair of X5365's, the same CPU AB fail lights illuminate on start up which leads me to think there's an underlying issue with the Logic board on this one?

Any help would be welcome as i use this as a slave for music production and was about to set up a network of 4 macs for some serious processing power!

Many thanks,

MD24

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.