Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattm123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2016
Hi Guys,

So I have a Mac Pro 1,1 with El Capitan (using this guide: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2006-2007-mac-pro-1-1-2-1-and-os-x-el-capitan.1890435/ ) and I have been running el capitan great the past few months on an SSD, and I also have another HDD with Windows 7. I am also running a Geforce GTX 960, have 20 GB RAM, 2 Quad-Core Xeon x5365 (8 cores total).

Anyways, after getting through the specs, I have run into a little trouble. Last night I bought an SSD and was installing Windows 7 on it and all was going great, then all of a sudden, I have not been getting any display. I don't expect one for startup since I am using an aftermarket card. But with my SSD, startups are less than 30 seconds. Anyways, I tried removing all drives except my OS X SSD, tried an SMC and PRAM reset, I tried shutting down the computer and turning it back on while holding the power button and saw the light flash then boot up (thinking that would do something) and I also tried replacing the boot.efi files (using target disk mode and connecting the computer through firewire).
After this, I put back in my stock Apple ATI Radeon x1900 which always gave boot screens upon startup (yes, even with the modified boot.efi on el capitan). Unfortunately it did not give me the boot screen. I tried moving the NVIDIA and the ATI card onto different slots (separately) and even tried sticking them both in and powering the NVIDIA from the disc drive power source, and still got nothing. I know the computer is booting up because it shows up on my network and the caps lock key light turns on (according to apple, the caps light key does not work until the computer is booted into the OS).

I have exhausted many frustrating hours and have tried many different attempts in getting the computer to boot and show something, but I am still getting nothing.

What can I do to fix this issue?

Thanks
Matt

mattm123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2016
So, the monitor doesn't work anymore?

monitor works fine. tried different outputs on my card, tried different cables, tried my laptop

UPDATE: when i plug in my windows 7 hdd and boot it, after a few minutes, my monitor changes from "no signal" to a black screen with a few pixles in the middle with different colors. i tried plugging the computer into my tv and got the same thing. but when i boot my apple ssd, nothing. i even tried creating a bootable drive and plugged that in and disconnected the other drives and got nothing, but saw activity on the flash drive via the light on the flash drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.