Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
My new 2.66 GHz Mac pro arrived last Tuesday. I installed Photoshop CS2, activated and registered on line etc etc. Photoshop worked fine for a couple of days.
Yesterday morning I started photoshop but half way through the start up process the following message appeared on the screen

COULD NOT INITALIZE PHOTOSHOP BECAUSE THE DISK IS NOT AVAILABLE

Any ideas, please !! :confused:

FJ

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Repair permissions using Disk Utility. If the problem continues, then it's probably something to do with the permissions set for the scratch disk, if it's a separate one.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If you do have a separate drive used as a scratch disk, then it might be best to set it to 'Ignore ownership on this volume'. That's the way my work and home ones are set up with no probs at all.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
If you do have a separate drive used as a scratch disk, then it might be best to set it to 'Ignore ownership on this volume'. That's the way my work and home ones are set up with no probs at all.

Tried "Repair permissions" but unfortunately the message is still appearing and Photoshop won't start.

I have 3 hard drives in total. Photoshop CS2 is installed on Mackintosh HD and I had set Drive B as the first scratch disk.

Ignore ownership ? Sorry I haven't heard of that, please can you explain.

FJ

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Ignore ownership ? Sorry I haven't heard of that, please can you explain.

Select drive B in the sidebar or Finder... then key Apple-I to Get Info.

At the bottom of that panel is 'Ownership and Permissions', flip the little triangle open and check the box that says 'Ignore ownership...'

If you'd repaired permissions specifically on Drive B, it would have accomplished the same thing but this will fix it for good.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Select drive B in the sidebar or Finder... then key Apple-I to Get Info.

At the bottom of that panel is 'Ownership and Permissions', flip the little triangle open and check the box that says 'Ignore ownership...'

If you'd repaired permissions specifically on Drive B, it would have accomplished the same thing but this will fix it for good.

Thanks Blue Velvet, I will try this later. unfortunately I have a leave the house now, but thanks. I will return to this posting and let you know how things went. I should have said earlier, all other software is working fine e.g. Microsoft Office, iPhoto, iTunes etc etc, it's just photoshop that is playing silly b*ggers.

Cheers.
FJ

drbrog

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
Chicago
Photoshop CS3 beta

Why not download a copy of CS3 beta and use it instead of CS@? Its a universal app and works very well. CS3 is due to be released within the next few weeks anyway.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Thanks Blue Velvet, I will try this later. unfortunately I have a leave the house now, but thanks. I will return to this posting and let you know how things went. I should have said earlier, all other software is working fine e.g. Microsoft Office, iPhoto, iTunes etc etc, it's just photoshop that is playing silly b*ggers.

Cheers.
FJ

Hi Father,

have you tried updating your photoshop as well? running the latest update might remove a bug. just a thought if you haven't tried it yet.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
It's not a bug and using CS3 Beta is not recommended for production work.

This is a well-documented issue with those using a separate drive as a scratch disk and the solution is also well-documented, as well as taking about 30 seconds to fix. Permanently.

Cheers.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
It's not a bug and using CS3 Beta is not recommended for production work.

This is a well-documented issue with those using a separate drive as a scratch disk and the solution is also well-documented, as well as taking about 30 seconds to fix. Permanently.

Cheers.

Many thanks Blue Velvet, your second suggestion was absolutely correct.
My CS2 is working well and my new Mac Pro is without a doubt the "Dogs Bo**ocks" especially with 6 Gb of ram!!!!

Thanks again for your help. :) :)

FJ :D

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Why not download a copy of CS3 beta and use it instead of CS@? Its a universal app and works very well. CS3 is due to be released within the next few weeks anyway.

Thanks drbrog for your suggestion, but Blue Velvet told me exactly what needed done to sort it.

Very happy FJ :)

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Hi Father,

have you tried updating your photoshop as well? running the latest update might remove a bug. just a thought if you haven't tried it yet.
Hi Keebler
All the updates for Photoshop had been installed and Tiger upgraded to 10.4.9 but to no avail. The simple solution suggested by Blue Velvet worked a treat.
As she said, it wasn't a bug, it had all to do with the second hard drive I was using as the first scratch disk and ticking the little box to "Ignore Ownership" fixed the problem. Although the problem was easily fixed, never in a million years would I have sorted this out myself !!!:confused:

Thanks for your suggestion anyhow. :)

A very happy FJ :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.