Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

candi979

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Hi everybody,

I'm writing here after a huge research on the web without success, it seems that nobody had a solutions for this annoying problem. It's a very simple thing...my cMP especially after many hours of running it doesn't shut down when I do it but it restart. When I do that 2 times it shut finally down.

The problem appeared when I made a FRESH install of Sierra (5 months ago) in an SSD in the Optical bay. I also tried to upgrade to High Sierra but the problem is still there.

I have a Mac Pro 5.1, 2x3.46 Ghz 6 core, 32 GB RAM and a EVGA GTX 1080 8 GB.

The startup disc is a SSD 512MB Crucial MX300.

Thank you very much!

Marco

vorkosigan1

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2017
It may be a slowly failing power supply. First try replacing the pram battery and resetting pram.

candi979

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Hi guys,

thank you very much for the answers!
It's really funny because I usually used this function in the past, the PRAM reset, to TRY to resolve problems but it worked 1 time in 10 cases...and now is working again!

So for me that's was the solution! Just reset PRAM and now my mac shuts down properly.

Thanks a lot!

candi979

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
Sorry if I write here again but...after 3 days the problem is appears again. I also followed the suggestion of vorkosigan1 (and changed the battery) but it doesn't work...what can I do? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I suspect the High Sierra EFI firmware check each week: https://eclecticlight.co/2017/09/24/high-sierra-automatically-checks-efi-firmware-each-week/

Yesterday my Mac Pro didn't shut down in High Sierra, so I forced the shut down with the on/off switch. After restart El Capitan started twice with reboot. After a further complete shut down all normal again.

I did not have to reset PRAM like the first time, when High Sierra definitely did something with the PRAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.