Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wydsco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2019
Hi I’m new here but I can’t find anything about this issue anywhere
I’m running a Mac Pro 5,1 with a msi rx 580 with the original Radeon card for the boot screen
Before adding the original card back in everything was smooth even under load but now as soon as I do anything going intensive the rx 580 would stop working but the pc would still work because the Radeon card would still display and respond I fixed this by adding some room between the cards but now under load the whole pc would crash and require me to unplug it for 30 seconds for it to work again
Any suggestions.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
You're running TWO GPUs in the system?
What original Radeon are you talking about?
How are you powering each of them?

ALL POWER CONNECTORS ON THE GPU(S) NEED TO BE CONNECTED. This is the first step of troubleshooting.

Wydsco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2019
You're running TWO GPUs in the system?
What original Radeon are you talking about?
How are you powering each of them?

ALL POWER CONNECTORS ON THE GPU(S) NEED TO BE CONNECTED. This is the first step of troubleshooting.
It the HD 5770 I have it connected using the original mini 6 pin to 6 pin and I have the rx580 connected through two data slots

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Most RX580's require dual mini 6-pin to standard 8-pin to function correctly in MP5,1. You're going to run into issues powering multiple GPUs that require additional power unless you "hack" some way or use an external PSU.

Would suggest eliminating the 5770 from the system. If you have a specific use need that you're trying to experiment with, look into RX560's that do not require additional power.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It the HD 5770 I have it connected using the original mini 6 pin to 6 pin and I have the rx580 connected through two data slots
This way you are feeding less than half the current needed. 2 SATA power connections can feed, at the limit, around 90W, usually RX-580 is a 200 to 225W GPU, with some overclocked models needing 237W.

Last edited:

creativeguru

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2018
The maximum power consumption for this Mac Pro is 300W. I suspect your non-factory added internal hardware is surpassing that amount which could lead to a shutdown. It could also be a sign your CPU cooling system is dirty. If you suspect that then remove CPU tray, remove CPU housing, clean, add new and good quality thermal paste (member too much paste is bad and can cause problems). I would also recommend a SMC reset. Couldn't hurt. A last scenario is the card is defective and causing the shutdown. Remove recently added card and see what the temperatures report. Download Macs Fan Control to see temperatures and fan speeds but DO NOT change the fan settings. You will be tempted but don't do that.

creativeguru

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2018
I don't know why Apple capped at 300. Just saw the 300 reference again deep within Apple's support page. I was looking to see if I could add one more PCI upgrade card. I am getting too close to the 300 limit.

I run a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1, DC 6-core that is maxed out including a 4K Mojave ready GPU. I build and fix computers.

octoviaa

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
I don't know why Apple capped at 300. Just saw the 300 reference again deep within Apple's support page. I was looking to see if I could add one more PCI upgrade card. I am getting too close to the 300 limit.

I run a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1, DC 6-core that is maxed out including a 4K Mojave ready GPU. I build and fix computers.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201796
The CPU alone is rated for 285W (dual) and 248W (single) it is absurd to think Apple capped the power only to 300W.
And the Radeon HD 5770 1G max power is at 108W so definitely the power supply have to be able to supply power more than 300W.
http://www.macpartsonline.com/661-5...0-watts-for-mac-pro-2012-2010-2009-a1289.html

creativeguru

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2018
Hey, Apple is known for absurdity :)

Just reporting what I read from deep within Apple's Support site. I might have misunderstood it. Maybe the 300W cap is just for the PCI cards and there is additional wattage bandwidth for the CPU? I could believe that. I would imagine a rig like that would have around 500-700W capability based on computers I've built. I don't know why. I just know I read 300W and it was a deep find. Wish I had the link now to post but digging it up again deep within Apple's site was hard in the first place.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
4 slots x 75 Watt = 300 Watt

Two PCIe Power sockets add 2x 75 Watt, goes to protection shut down if exceeds ca. 100 Watt each

The PSU is > 900 Watt

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The maximum power consumption for this Mac Pro is 300W. I suspect your non-factory added internal hardware is surpassing that amount which could lead to a shutdown. It could also be a sign your CPU cooling system is dirty. If you suspect that then remove CPU tray, remove CPU housing, clean, add new and good quality thermal paste (member too much paste is bad and can cause problems). I would also recommend a SMC reset. Couldn't hurt. A last scenario is the card is defective and causing the shutdown. Remove recently added card and see what the temperatures report. Download Macs Fan Control to see temperatures and fan speeds but DO NOT change the fan settings. You will be tempted but don't do that.

That ~300W is just the "CPU max". And we are talking about the GPU (PCIe card) powering issue. Nothing related to that ~300W max (CPU) power consumption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.