Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themacpronovice2022

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2022
Hello, my Mac Pro 4,1 2009; has been having issues after I have replaced the power supply. My thinking is that it’s the graphics card going bad. Here are the symptoms.

After playing grand theft auto 5 for 20minutes the screen goes black and the Mac Pro makes a scratching noise. Any way to tell if it’s the graphics card? It’s the only one I have.

jscipione

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
Single socket or dual socket? My guess is that the Northbridge is overheating as that lines up with the symptoms you are experiencing. Although that is less likely for a single socket system. It’s possible that the GPU is not getting enough power assuming it’s something more power hungry than an RX 580 and you haven’t done the Pixlas mod. You can monitor thermals using iStats Pro or MacsFanControl. Crank up the fan speed manually using above programs, load up GTA5 and see if it crashes, then work backwards to determine what is overheating.

Reactions: bmoraski

themacpronovice2022

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2022
Single socket or dual socket? My guess is that the Northbridge is overheating as that lines up with the symptoms you are experiencing. Although that is less likely for a single socket system. It’s possible that the GPU is not getting enough power assuming it’s something more power hungry than an RX 580 and you haven’t done the Pixlas mod. You can monitor thermals using iStats Pro or MacsFanControl. Crank up the fan speed manually using above programs, load up GTA5 and see if it crashes, then work backwards to determine what is overheating.
When I got the Mac Pro for $80. The guy said it was having stability issues. And it’s a single slot.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It's very hard to know if the root cause is from the GPU / PSU / cables.

Anyway, lack of details (exact hardware spec, devices parameters i.e. operating temperatures, scratching noise from where i.e. with video) make us very hard to help you.

Reactions: bmoraski

bmoraski

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
Without more info i would suggest new thermal paste on cpu and northbridge. My issue was fans cranked up and sounded like a jet engine taking off. MacsFanControl helped me figure out my particular issue.

themacpronovice2022

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2022
Without more info i would suggest new thermal paste on cpu and northbridge. My issue was fans cranked up and sounded like a jet engine taking off. MacsFanControl helped me figure out my particular issue.
Mine don’t do that. It just shuts off while gaming

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.