Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hav76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2024
Hello everyone,
first of all I need to apologize for my post because there are many other posts that says go to OpenCore but I am a musician, not smart enough regarding the technical side of it. I am working with my Mac Pro since 2012 and I was able to upgrade it bit by bit until El Capitan. I would stay with El Capitan but now the time has come because many things are not working anymore and I would be very thankful if someone could explain it to me like explain it to a 10 years old :)

is it even possible for me to upgrade to the MacOs version after 10.11.6 El Capitan?

My Mac Pro early 2008
Processor: 2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad Core Xeon
RAM : 8 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Graphic C:ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB

Many thx in advance

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
First, edit your post and remove your serial number.

Second, there are many very good YouTube videos explaining how to install OpenCore with OpenCore LegacyPatcher. Try Mr Macintosh site and YouTube channel.

Hav76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2024
First, edit your post and remove your serial number.

Second, there are many very good YouTube videos explaining how to install OpenCore with OpenCore LegacyPatcher. Try Mr Macintosh site and YouTube channel.
Thank you very much. I searched for youtube videos and I get the info that a metal graphic card is required?

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
Musician on OpenCore (Mr. Macintosh the way to go)
Digital Performer 10 Kontakt 5 Kontakt 7
Massive Battery 4 Komplete Kontrol
DSP-Quattro 5 Native Instruments UAD Waves ect. All work

12.7.png

Hav76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2024
Musician on OpenCore (Mr. Macintosh the way to go)
Digital Performer 10 Kontakt 5 Kontakt 7
Massive Battery 4 Komplete Kontrol
DSP-Quattro 5 Native Instruments UAD Waves ect. All work

View attachment 2364684
Wow, that sounds amazing :) , I guess your NVIDIA Quadro K5000 is much better than my ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, and your Memory of 48 GB is impressive.

Thank you very much for giving me hope

Hav76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2024
Guys just one more question about a new graphic card.

Which one should I buy?

NVIDIA GTX 1080
AMD RX 580 8 GB

A fast response would be much apreciated because those two cards are for sale for 80 Dollars each.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Guys just one more question about a new graphic card.

Which one should I buy?
You need to modify the power delivery to those cards.
Have a look at this blog post 👍
Or look at his videos

I can report that a GTX 670 4GB works without a problem in my Mac Pro 3.1 (2008)
No power mod needed, just two mini 6-pin to 6-pin cables

Last edited:
Reactions: Hav76

Hav76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2024
You can't go wrong with a real and unmodified RX580
Thank you for making me aware of that Dayo, but how should a newbie like me knows if a card is modified or unmodified? Or are you just telling me to buy it only as an original product and not an old one on fb Marketplace?

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Hav76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2024
You need to modify the power delivery to those cards.
Have a look at this blog post 👍
Or look at his videos

I can report that a GTX 670 4GB works without a problem in my Mac Pro 3.1 (2008)
No power mod needed, just two mini 6-pin to 6-pin cables
Thank you very much Regulus67 :)

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Are you telling me to only buy it brand new?
Caveat Emptor on anything bought used.

I suppose you could try asking the vendor whether modified for mining or not. Worse case is that they lie but you can ask for how to revert the changes here later.

There are also "fake" ones for the China market (really RX570) that cMP might not initially work with but again, these can be sorted out. The seller might not even know if they were using it on Windows.

All in all, there can be issues with used ones but these are fairly easily overcome. Start with the hope you get the real McCoy off the bat.

Hav76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2024
Caveat Emptor on anything bought used.

I suppose you could try asking the vendor whether modified for mining or not. Worse case is that they lie but you can ask for how to revert the changes here later.

There are also "fake" ones for the China market (really RX570) that cMP might not initially work with but again, these can be sorted out. The seller might not even know if they were using it on Windows.

All in all, there can be issues with used ones but these are fairly easily overcome. Start with the hope you get the real McCoy off the bat.
Yes, I guess thats the only thing I have," hope ". I do not have the deeper knowledge

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Well,
I do not have the deeper knowledge
Nobody can take a look at a picture in a posting and tell whether the firmware has been amended for example.

I told you what you can do before buying, ask the seller whether used for mining, and what you can do if it turns out to have issues, ask here on how to sort out.

You have to buy new if that is too much for you to deal with.

Hav76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2024
Well,

Nobody can take a look at a picture in a posting and tell whether the firmware has been amended for example.

I told you what you can do before buying, ask the seller whether used for mining, and what you can do if it turns out to have issues, ask here on how to sort out.

You have to buy new if that is too much for you to deal with.
Thank you Dayo, you are right!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.