Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
All the talk of the 2023 Mac Pro in relation to the 2019 Mac Pro has me curious. Mac Pro users/customers:

1. In which city/town are you all (or, probably more specifically, your Mac Pros) geographically located?

2. What do you do on your Mac Pro that can't be done on another Apple Mac offering and in what particular field or industry?

3. And if you use PCIe expansion cards or Thunderbolt 3/4 accessories other than GPUs, which ones do you use?

[Disclaimer: I'm legitimately asking solely out of curiosity (and not AT ALL to make or prove any kind of point) and to get some sort of sampling of what the Mac Pro subcommunity of MacRumors.com's forums uses these Macs for, where, and with which accessories or cards that can't be used in any other Mac (let alone Windows/Linux) contexts. I may reply to comments with questions, but I'm solely looking to see what people use and where.]

Reactions: rm5

andrewmarich

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2017
All the talk of the 2023 Mac Pro in relation to the 2019 Mac Pro has me curious. Mac Pro users/customers:

1. In which city/town are you all (or, probably more specifically, your Mac Pros) geographically located?

2. What do you do on your Mac Pro that can't be done on another Apple Mac offering and in what particular field or industry?

3. And if you use PCIe expansion cards or Thunderbolt 3/4 accessories other than GPUs, which ones do you use?

[Disclaimer: I'm legitimately asking solely out of curiosity (and not AT ALL to make or prove any kind of point) and to get some sort of sampling of what the Mac Pro subcommunity of MacRumors.com's forums uses these Macs for, where, and with which accessories or cards that can't be used in any other Mac (let alone Windows/Linux) contexts. I may reply to comments with questions, but I'm solely looking to see what people use and where.]
1. Los Angeles, CA

2. Mac Pro is used for post production for film industry, commercial, documentary & music video production. Software used is Final Cut Pro, Compressor, Logic Pro, Davinci Resolve, Topaz Labs, Neat Video & Adobe Creative Suite. Expansion is a necessity so no other Mac would cut it.

3. PCI - OWC Accelsior 8M2 32TB RAID & Blackmagic Decklink 8K Pro
SATA - Sonnet Technologies Fusion Flex J3i 32 TB RAID
TB - BM UltraStudio 4K Mini, BM Teranex Mini 8K, OWC ThunderBay Flex 8 & Universal Audio Apollo Twin X

Reactions: owbp, HDFan and rm5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.