Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spencer Fry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
As you know Apple lists these cards to buy:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)
2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $150]
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $250]
3 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $300]
4 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $450]
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $1650]

I would like to buy the one in bold above, but I would rather buy it through NewEgg or a similar service. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, could you please link me to the card?

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
Spencer Fry said:
As you know Apple lists these cards to buy:

I would like to buy the one in bold above, but I would rather buy it through NewEgg or a similar service. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, could you please link me to the card?

Not at this time, No.

The firmware on the card is different. It may be possible in the future, but you will have to wait for someone to dump the firmware/bios from a BTO Mac Pro and post it first.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Apple's cards will work in OS X and in Windows. You can buy one off of NewEgg but it'll only work in Windows. If you try to boot back into OS X with the card in you'll more then likely be unable to.

Spencer Fry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
I see. Are there any comparable cards to the one I listed above that will work in Mac OS X and give good graphics performance for games, movies, etc.?

EDIT: For instance, will this work (Buy.com) or this (Amazon)?

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
well if i remember corectly Mac compatible and PC video cards are the exactly the same hardware wise but not software or ROM wise so no it wouldnt work
i heard it would work once OSX boots but you'll have a black screen before meaning you will lose the apple logo in the gray screen when you boot and wont see any thing till system login screen appears
i think it would kinda make it hard to do stuff like resseting P-ram and other things similar

if i was misguided someone please correct me

Spencer Fry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Old Smuggler said:
well if i remember corectly Mac compatible and PC video cards are the exactly the same hardware wise but not software or ROM wise so no it wouldnt work
i heard it would work once OSX boots but you'll have a black screen before meaning you will lose the apple logo in the gray screen when you boot and wont see any thing till system login screen appears
i think it would kinda make it hard to do stuff like resseting P-ram and other things similar

if i was misguided someone please correct me

That's kind of terrible. So am I screwed? How do I upgrade my video card from the standard MacPro card that I received (i.e. the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB) to something better?

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
how do you upgrade your card ? buy another one from apple but it will be more expensive than it was when it was BTO

i am assuming if you dont buy it from apple it wont work
they are give a stock of cards and they Put apple ROM on them
no one else can sell a card with apple rom if im correct

Again correct me if im wrong because i might be

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
Spencer Fry said:
That's kind of terrible. So am I screwed? How do I upgrade my video card from the standard MacPro card that I received (i.e. the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB) to something better?

Like I said - just wait for people to start posting some hacked firmware for the other cards on the market.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Spencer Fry said:

Apple sell the ATI X1900XT as a seperate upgrade kit, you can order it from the Apple Store online. You'll have to wait a while until other retailers will offer this or a similar card I'm afraid

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
why not just pony up the dough for a card specifically designed for a mac pro
that way when apple releases updates via software or firmware you know it will continue to work
not leaving you in the dark like some haxie job might
i read in another forum that pc cards come with some thing like a 64k rom chip but apple 's come with a 128k so either it was solder another chip or compress the rom data down to 64

i think i can find the link but im not shure if its ok to post another forums link in this forum?

Spencer Fry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
NATO said:
Apple sell the ATI X1900XT as a seperate upgrade kit, you can order it from the Apple Store online. You'll have to wait a while until other retailers will offer this or a similar card I'm afraid

That's probably what I'm going to have to do. That's too bad, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.