Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Im really looking to get a mac pro for video encoding. Question is, what is a good program for OSX that supports multi-threading? Whats the use of having all those cores if you cant use them right?

What is the best video codec to use for local playback? I am mainly looking to convert AVI files, to WMV files so they play on the xbox360 media center. I heard they may support mp4 and H.264 shortly also.

Also, will a new DX10 card work if it comes out later in the year? Gaming on the PC side would be fun with a DX10 card and vista. Currently, video card determines 99% of your frame rate at 1920x1200 resolution. So waiting for a processor revision seems pointless, unless I want to save a minute or 2 on encoding.

Thanks in advance!

nurfen

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2007
Also, will a new DX10 card work if it comes out later in the year? Gaming on the PC side would be fun with a DX10 card and vista. Currently, video card determines 99% of your frame rate at 1920x1200 resolution. So waiting for a processor revision seems pointless, unless I want to save a minute or 2 on encoding.

Thanks in advance!

Future graphics cards will be supported by the current Mac Pros, yes. Although, not nearly as many as in the PC market. Apple decides which cards will work with your Mac Pro.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Does anyone know of any multithreaded video encoding apps for the mac?

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Codecs

Does anyone know of any multithreaded video encoding apps for the mac?

Well, from my experience, I think a lot of the open source apps are built on the foundation code, eg FFMPEG or x264. Its these underlying programs that we need to use multi-cores.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think x264 is multi-core aware, as is Handbrake (which can use x264).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.