Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtmatchett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
Hello everyone!

I need some help/advice on deciding between a Mac Pro and 2018 Mac mini. This machine will be solely used for music production (Ableton Live + Plugins) and basic word processing. I do run Ableton at 48k and sometimes higher sample rates which can be tasking on my current 2014 MBP. I’m really torn on which machine would be best for my studio. I’m looking at a Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core, 32 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD and a 2018 Mac mini 3.2 GHz 6 core, 64 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD. The Mac Pro is $4249 and Mac mini is $3299. From my understanding the Xeon processors are better at multi core processing than an i7 but that the i7 may be better at single core processing. I do believe Ableton Live utilizes multi core processing most of the time. Many of the plugins I use inside Ableton also use multi core processing. From my understanding, the 2018 Mac mini also has faster RAM but I’m not sure what difference that would make.

Which system do you think is a better buy for my scenario?

11201ny

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2014
From what I have read, they are very similar over all. Mac Pro is more of a beast, while the Mac Mini has newer tech.
Otherwise, this very question has caused wars all over the internet.

Good Luck.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
If you're doing audio work and don't need the GPU for anything, I'd opt for the hex-core Mac mini all day long. Much better single-thread performance, and at least marginally better multi-threaded performance. $1,000 cheaper is nothing to sneeze at, either.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I do mostly audio (and some photo/video work on the side). I love my Mac Pro but I'd go for the mini in a heartbeat. I don't know Ableton but Apple's own Logic hardly touches the GPU and if you need a faster GPU for most apps you'll get better performance with an external GPU on the Mac mini.

I'm one of the few who loves the design of the Pro but let's be real, the internals haven't been updated in almost 6 years. It's almost ready to be classified as "obsolete" even before the refresh comes out and that's by Apple's own generous standards! (7 years)

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Ableton is the only thing I’m uncertain about – I know the 2011 Mac mini with only 16GB of memory was able to handle everything I could throw at it while using Logic Pro and only flinched and slowed when it came to intensive video effects, though I understand Logic Pro has generally been about as optimized as possible for Mac hardware.

If I had that kind of money to spend, I’d want to favour the newer hardware for the longest possible software support, and the new Mac mini clearly wins there. I might hesitate a little longer if serious video work was in the question, but I’m really not sure how long.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Hello everyone!

I need some help/advice on deciding between a Mac Pro and 2018 Mac mini. This machine will be solely used for music production (Ableton Live + Plugins) and basic word processing. I do run Ableton at 48k and sometimes higher sample rates which can be tasking on my current 2014 MBP. I’m really torn on which machine would be best for my studio. I’m looking at a Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core, 32 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD and a 2018 Mac mini 3.2 GHz 6 core, 64 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD. The Mac Pro is $4249 and Mac mini is $3299. From my understanding the Xeon processors are better at multi core processing than an i7 but that the i7 may be better at single core processing. I do believe Ableton Live utilizes multi core processing most of the time. Many of the plugins I use inside Ableton also use multi core processing. From my understanding, the 2018 Mac mini also has faster RAM but I’m not sure what difference that would make.

Which system do you think is a better buy for my scenario?

Mac Mini. If you require more storage, you can add externally via USB3 or Tbolt3/USB-C. Similar for video if you find you need it you can go for an external add on.

Reactions: Yvan256
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.