Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Sorta sad, lol. The 7300gt in the Mac Pro can't even compete with my al iMac 2.4. The iMac is totally smooth, and the Mac Pro is quite jerky.

lol, oh well. that's what I get for trying to game on a work machine. Funny how big a difference the video card can make. All the ma pro's raptors, raid0's, ram, and processors can't compete with the slightly improved imac video card.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Ya for gaming, the video card makes most of the difference.

Sorta sad, lol. The 7300gt in the Mac Pro can't even compete with my al iMac 2.4. The iMac is totally smooth, and the Mac Pro is quite jerky.

lol, oh well. that's what I get for trying to game on a work machine. Funny how big a difference the video card can make. All the ma pro's raptors, raid0's, ram, and processors can't compete with the slightly improved imac video card.

moslayne

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007

I've seen a mac pro run WOW on maxed settings before with the 7300. It's really not "that" bad of a card....but yeah, you are right, the iMac has got a much better one.

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
The 7300 is a depressingly bad choice from apple, to cut otherwise minuscule costs.
Hell my 12" laptop has a 7400 and once overclocked its a decent little card for the low resolution it has to handle. But on a professional workstation, apple is kidding themselves.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
The 7300 is a depressingly bad choice from apple, to cut otherwise minuscule costs.
The 7300 is a fine choice for people who need CPU, and not GPU, power.

Not to berate the OP (especially since they mention it's their work machine, presumably work of the requirements I mentioned above) but it seems so silly to me when people complain about the 7300GT not being good enough for gaming — you could have gotten the X1900 XT if you wanted to game.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
it seems so silly to me when people complain about the 7300GT not being good enough for gaming — you could have gotten the X1900 XT if you wanted to game.

Right. iMac was made as an universal machine that can play some games, edit some video, make a site, edit photos. It excels at neither of these tasks however.

Mac Pro is, on the other hand, a machine built specifically for video/photo/other editing. Its a workstation, NOT meant for gaming AT ALL. But if you need more graphics firepower (for gaming, for Aperture, Motion or whatever), there's optional Radeon X1900 XT that smokes every other card available in Macs in performance (yes, even Quadro, but they are meant for different markets).

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Whats silly is for a machine such as a mac pro to have a baseline video card which would likely be considerably slower in something like Maya when compared to a consumer computer such as the imac 24". I think the mac pro should be no slower in any function when compared to its cheaper consumer computers. True that the video in the imac is newer but still, at the time for an extra $50 it could have been a 7600GT which is a better card by immesurable amounts. Its not like its a $300 computer and we're saying toss in a $50 video card upgrade in there... Its a $2000 machine probably at its cheapest so come on, either eat a bit of the margins and just give a better baseline video card or bump the price by $50.

Not even sure why the ATI leaf blowers are in there. so loud and annoying (I've owned both and the ATI was god awful for noise when the fan kicked on high). Anyway at the time, the lineup should have been (IMO):

7600GT --> 7900GTX ---> Quadro

Whats

pismobrat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
Raid 0

Hello All,

Glad what your enjoying WOW. But rememeber when it comes down to RAID -0 with OS X. Your using software to do the RAID. when you use software there is atleast a 30% hit on disk IO and CPU usage. Thus resulting in a lower performance. The iMac has a great hardware list. but technically speaking the Macpro will own the iMac if you went to basic specs and ran the res @ 1024x768w/32bmp. Give it a shot, it is always fun to tweak.

Cheer
Shawn

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Remember the base card of the Mac Pro is about power, as in 35W.

Need to think in terms of the best sub-35W card for that machine.

Sucks that the only way for Apple to get volume on that card is to make it standard.

Since not that many would downgrade a fast GPU for low power cards for the 4-6-8 DVI ports.

Still need the consumer tower, so people can stop worrying about the card on the workstation.

redraidermacman

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Strange. WoW runs like blazes on my MacPro...with the x1900 :D

-mx

must elaborate what is "blazes" and i think that apple should just hire blizzard to port mac games for every game, they seem to be the only ones that can really make good solid running native games

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.