Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hidea

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2006
Odd one here,

but you know... I just bought the Mac Pro, waiting for it to get here, but it never occurred to me how much faster the Mac Pro would be in comparison to my 2.16GHz MBP? It's got 2GB of RAM (the notebook). While the MP has 1GB (for now, until the rest 4GB RAM gets here)

Has anyone ever run a benchmark? Or do some real life comparison?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
well i can't speak from personal experience, but i imagine the benchmarks would be in the "wow that fricken fast" area, while the MBP would be more in the "jeez that was quick" area :D

theblotted

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
but it'll be much more difficult to bring the MacPro around to Starbucks or around the world and use it anywhere.

depending on your needs, and where you wanna do'em @.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I'd say the Mac Pro is a helluva lot faster than my previous 2.33GHz MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo.... and yesterday I just got 2GB more RAM and it flies even more! Woot! I LOVE IT! I wouldn't trade it for another MacBook Pro, that's for damn sure. Also, I have an older PowerBook G4 that I use for mobility since I'm at my desk most of the time.

Dorr185

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2007
I am getting one of these tomorrow. I was originally going to go with the Macbook Pro, but the Mac Pro seems like a lot more machine for the same amount of money! I already got my flat panel monitor so that takes care of that.

I'm excited!

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
The Mac Pro is a beast of a machine, certainly a lot faster (with its server based processors) than a MacBook Pro (with its mobile based processors).

I hope you have the same awesome experience with yours as I'm having with mine. Computing doesn't get much better than this.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
The Mac Pro is a beast of a machine, certainly a lot faster (with its server based processors) than a MacBook Pro (with its mobile based processors).

I hope you have the same awesome experience with yours as I'm having with mine. Computing doesn't get much better than this.

YOU SAID IT! I love my Mac Pro. Fastest computer I've ever used in my life! Computing certainly doesn't get much better than this. The MacBook Pros are fast but, this is one hell of a high performance machine. One tip though, get more RAM. Try to get an extra 2GB like I did. It makes a HUGE difference, I hardly hear my drives anymore and the Mac Pro is lightening fast!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i have both the Mac Pro and Macbook Pro....both stock (except 2GB of ram in the notebook)

the Mac Pro is faster, but i take the Macbook around to class and all. right now i have 14 programs running on the Macbook, and it feels like one is running.

but you can't put 4 hard drives in the Macbook Pro....

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I too have both machines. I love each of them. But, for pure power the MP is in a class of its' own. You were wise to get the extra memory. I only have 4GB (waiting for another price break), but it seems to be enough for now. Did you order the X1900? I really like the card.

hidea

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2006
K, updates:

My MacPro will hopefully get here by Tuesday, January 30. Latest by Wednesday, the 31st.

We will see :D

I have yet to order the RAM, but I'll get that done ASAP!

I'm excited now :D

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
I purchased a macbook pro, and returned it 2 days later because it felt slow compared to my Dual 1ghz G4 (with SATA card and hard drive). By slow i mean the HARD DRIVE was slow, opening files, programs and just plain old every day usage felt slow. The overall processing power was great, but i couldn't use it as my everyday computer.

so i bought a mac pro.

hidea

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2006
I can safely say...

it's HELLUVA FASTER MACHINE! and I mean.. FASTER. This is only with 1GB of RAM. waiting for the rest 4GB to come.

theblotted

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
You will only be limited by your nerdiness.

Real Arnies carries their Mac Pros everywhere!

yeah, i actually do know ppl who bring G5/MacPro in a flight case when they travel internationally.

but i'd like to see the Governator walk in Starbucks with a MP. oh wait, he's out of shape.

Attachments

• arnold.jpg
    arnold.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 37
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.