Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill_face

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2019
Hello.

I have a Mac Pro of the cheese grater variety (4.1 I believe but will confirm later)

A couple of days ago it stopped connecting to the internet. I tried various simple steps (wifi off/on, restart, trying connecting via ethernet) none worked. The wifi appears to be working, and it can still connect to the local network via wifi.

I found an internet page of various problems that might cause it, and worked through them to no avail (e.g disconnecting all USB, changing DNS settings)

(https://appletoolbox.com/solved-macbook-connects-to-wi-fi-but-has-no-internet-connection/)

So i reinstalled the OS (Yosemite) and the problem persists.

Could it be a hardware problem? Is there anything that could cause this lack of internet in an otherwise fine Mac Pro?

Or any other diagnostic steps I can take?

Cheers

Phil

subroutines

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
Not sure if this helps. But I had issues with my wifi only, and it was due to some USB3 cables emitting signals that interfered with the wifi component. It was fixed when I removed the cables. So I just minimized the use of cables connected to the machine. Apple Tech support couldn't figure this out but I later informed them of the issue.

bill_face

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2019
Not sure if this helps. But I had issues with my wifi only, and it was due to some USB3 cables emitting signals that interfered with the wifi component. It was fixed when I removed the cables. So I just minimized the use of cables connected to the machine. Apple Tech support couldn't figure this out but I later informed them of the issue.
Hey thanks for the response.

I did try removing all the USB connections and it still didn't work

bill_face

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2019
Thanks all, I believe it was a problem with my router, as a hard reset of that seems to have fixed the problem

Reactions: G5isAlive

bill_face

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2019
Actually it's not working again. See pic

Attachments

• PXL_20230307_224433723.jpg
    PXL_20230307_224433723.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 75

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
What kind of a router serves the "Meeting Hall" network? Can you hook up to it with a cable and check for wired connectivity with wifi disabled?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't think posting that wifi info helps.

What are you seeing at System Preferences>Network>Ethernet?

Is the Mac connected directly to the router via Ethernet? Have you tried a different port and cable?

Do you have any other device that can be used to check your Ethernet and router?

Can you connect the Mac to another router to check it?

Basic troubleshooting.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
He'll see nothing, as he is connected with wifi, not wired.
If both wired and wireless connection do not work, it's a router's problem, not Mac's.
In the past I've seen "Not Connected" or a self-assigned 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP on Ethernet for Macs having Ethernet connection issues…and neither one of those is "nothing".

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
He is not connected through ethernet.

He clearly stated the issue occurred on wifi and connecting through ethernet didn't fix it. The wifi diags were to rule out the possibility of transmission issue and now it clearly shows it is a problem with router. Note the "wifi" in the topic title and try to follow from there.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Silly question but is anything else getting the internet through that router? Just because the Mac is connected to the router doesn’t mean the router is connected anything

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
He is not connected through ethernet.

He clearly stated the issue occurred on wifi and connecting through ethernet didn't fix it. The wifi diags were to rule out the possibility of transmission issue and now it clearly shows it is a problem with router. Note the "wifi" in the topic title and try to follow from there.
I think I've been responding to some other thread! My bad.

Reactions: hwojtek

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
You said it worked when you rebooted the router although it stopped again later, and in your post above the settings say the internet is 'unreachable'. So the problem is in the router and if you've run network diagnostics in the link above and it hasn't found anything then it's surely that
Do you know how to get into the router settings? Usually there's an interface commonly at 192.168.0.1 but in your case it should be 192.168.86.1 and you'll need a user name and password (which you will be able to look up if you've never changed them) but look up about your router and you'll find out where it is and how to get into it. On a lot of them the access details are on a sticker on the bottom
I'm assuming everything else you connect to that router works which is why you think it's this mac?
Well there are a couple of things it may be but you really need to look there to be sure.
It could be it's confusing the address it's assigning, it could be a firewall issue but it could be hardware too
I also suggest you reboot everything first - all devices connected to it. Switch everything off, reboot the router then reboot the mac first and see if it works then everything else. It may sort itself out that way by reassigning id to everything but that doesn't explain why it doesn't work on ethernet.
You should do any testing on ethernet as there are very few options on ethernet so less things to eliminate, but the fact it doesn't work on either is also a strong hint it's the router throwing a wobbly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.