Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2021
Hey everyone,

I’ve got a CMP 5,1 with an RX580 that has no boot screen.

I installed Refindplus and Opencore using MyBootMgr which is supposed to give you a boot screen again.

I have Mojave and Windows 10 that both run fine but I need to guess how to get into them and it’s a major pain, plus I don’t know exactly what I’m booting into (OC, Refindplus, etc.)

Any idea why it’s like this?

My only thought is I need to change a setting to make it display over HDMI or something. I don’t have any other monitors to test different ports.

Please help, I’ve been at it for days and almost given up.

austinhealey175

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
If you’re using two monitors attached to the rx580 with hdmi, try unplugging one.

On my 5,1 when doing a recovery boot or iirc a new install of oc, I have to unplug one monitor to get the boot screen. Once everything is up and running it works normally and I can leave both plugged in.

Chris215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2021
I’ve only got one monitor plugged in.

It’s truly a weird problem. Haven’t been able to find anything online about it.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
An RX 580 should show a bootscreen with RefindPlus. Did you get the GPU new or used?

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
An RX 580 should show a bootscreen with RefindPlus. Did you get the GPU new or used?
The RX580 has booth PC VBIOS and GOP, if the card was used and the old owner edited the 'protected tables' in the PC VBIOS to try and get the card to preform better that invalidates the GOP ROM so you won't get any boot screens on a Mac Pro.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
You can check your vbios for a valid GOP ROM

1633736686069.png

Just drop the original file on #AMD_ROM_Info.bat

Chris215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2021
Thanks so much for the replies, I wasn’t emailed that there had been replies.

In answer to your questions:

There is only 1 hdmi port on the card.

I got the card used with the machine. I asked the previous owner about it and he said the boot screen worked for him.

I don’t think the previous owner modded it, he said the boot screen was working for him anyway. He was using DisplayPort (I don’t own any monitors with DP).

I’ll run that tool you posted later today just in case.

Chris215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2021
I don’t know if this is of any consequence but I’m using an oldish Sony Bravia TV as a monitor.

When booting it says no signal until an OS is loaded but if it was already running and I reboot it will say unsupported signal until an OS is loaded.

malcom reynolds

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2022
I also have a RX580 in a MacPro 5,1 (plus a HD5770). Same problem - no matter what I try, no video to the RX580. I have the mac set up to dual boot between Linux Mint 20 and MacOS High Sierra. I'm not interested in installing a newer unsupported version of macOS, is just want a boot screen so I can select between Linux and macOS. Everything I've read indicates that refind+ should work but it doesn't.

earnric

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
I also have a RX580 in a MacPro 5,1 (plus a HD5770). Same problem - no matter what I try, no video to the RX580. I have the mac set up to dual boot between Linux Mint 20 and MacOS High Sierra. I'm not interested in installing a newer unsupported version of macOS, is just want a boot screen so I can select between Linux and macOS. Everything I've read indicates that refind+ should work but it doesn't.
I now have this problem on my MacPro5,1. I was using my RX580 for a couple years with a patched Mac OS -- Big Sur 11.0... Everything was fine until I tried to upgrade to opencore legacy patcher (and Big Sur 11.7.4). After patching I cannot get anything from the RX580 -- just a black screen. I have to put the old orig graphics card in to get anything -- and that works fine.

Anyone find a solution?

sgschneider

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2023
I am having the same black screen issue with the RX 580 and OCLP and have not been able to find a solution. The RX580 works fine with regular Open Core (Martin Lo's package) and also with a fresh install of Mojave. But when I upgrade to Monterey with OCLP I now get a progress bar that goes to black screen about a third of the way. OCLP has controls for boot timing and trim... but I have not experimented with these settings. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.