Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peet_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Netherlands
Help! My 5,1 2010 Mac Pro won’t boot anymore. I’m hearing the chime, and it does all the usual stuff I hear when it’s booting up, but there’s no screen, nothing, it’s completely black.

Yesterday I tried to install rEFInd, and did that successfully, only to realize my RX580 didn’t have a bootscreen‍. After installation I deleted the files from my download folder (maybe that has to do something with it) and got to work normally. By the end of the day I powered off the Mac, and realized I forgot to do something, so I powered it back up, and the screen stayed blank.

I’ve tried everything, like resetting the PRAM, disconnecting it from power, it won’t even boot into recovery mode... It sounds like it’s booting into something (as it takes a few moments, and then the gpu fans spin fast for 1/4 of a second and then stop completely, it only does that when macOS is loaded).

Specs of my machine are:
1 3,46Ghz X5690
32GB RAM
500GB 970 evo NVME SSD
Aorus RX580 8GB

Thanks in advance!

Peet_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Netherlands
UPDATE:

After leaving it unplugged for the night, I tried booting it up, but still no sign of anything other than a black screen. I also tried removing all of the drives, and booting from my bootable Mojave USB, and that also didn't work. I'm going to pick up my DVI cable today so I can plug the original GPU into the machine to maybe see what is going wrong, I'm not able to boot into Mojave with my HD 5770 right? Maybe it has something to do with the rEFInd installation, but though I'm not able to disable it as my screen just stays black... Thank god for iCloud file sync:rolleyes:

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
It's worth sticking the 5770 in and seeing what is happening. The 5770 will work with Mojave but just won't be accelerated. But it's useful for diagnostics.

Reactions: Peet_B

Peet_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Netherlands
New update:

As it turns out, something messed with my AORUS RX580... I plugged in a HDMI and voila, there was light. (stupid I didn't think of this before). Well I thought it may have had something to do with me installing rEFInd, but plugging the RX580 into my old windows PC saw me having the same issues, only HDMI and DVI are working, the 3 DP ports don't. I contacted the seller, and hope to get an answer soon...

Last edited:

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
New update:

As it turns out, something messed with my AORUS RX580... I plugged in a HDMI and voila, there was light. (stupid I didn't think of this before). Well I thought it may have had something to do with me installing rEFInd, but plugging the RX580 into my old windows PC saw me having the same issues, only HDMI and DVI are working, the 3 DP ports don't. I contacted the seller, and hope to get an answer soon...

Yep, sounds like the DP ports are faulty on the card! Definitely get a replacement. Glad you were able to figure it out though!

Reactions: Peet_B

Peet_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Netherlands
Yep, sounds like the DP ports are faulty on the card! Definitely get a replacement. Glad you were able to figure it out though!

Yeah, sent the card back to the seller yesterday, hoping to get my replacement at the beginning of next week. Did a bit of research on the internet about possible problems with a RX580 and DP ports, and turns out they're common problems and should be as simple as unplugging both the pc and the display. But that's what I did for more than 24 hours, and still no sign of life.

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah, sent the card back to the seller yesterday, hoping to get my replacement at the beginning of next week. Did a bit of research on the internet about possible problems with a RX580 and DP ports, and turns out they're common problems and should be as simple as unplugging both the pc and the display. But that's what I did for more than 24 hours, and still no sign of life.

Yeah I often get problems when configuring machines for with RX 580's and DP's. Funnily enough one of the worst culprits for it is the 5770's middle MDP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.