Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I know this is tough to figure out over a forum but my mac pro wont stay asleep. Ive been running it the last 4 years without letting it sleep and now that its getting warm I realize if i let it sleep it wont act as a radiator.
I dont know whats causing it, Ive shut down playback(media server), and wake from ethernet off. If I had to guess I think its my UPS because the machine starts to sleep(power light starts blinking) then the ups clicks and clicks again and the system comes back on except the monitor I have to touch the mouse or keyboard for that.
Any ideas out there?

I have moved the topic now that the MacPro issue was solved:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1737107/

Last edited:

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I had a problem like this awhile ago, I think a PRAM and SMC reset did the trick for me. I didn't have a UPS hooked up at the time.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I had a problem like this awhile ago, I think a PRAM and SMC reset did the trick for me. I didn't have a UPS hooked up at the time.
Thank you for your response, I was actually up will 3am doing research on this. My Apc UPS has 2 control outlets usually this is for a monitor and the computer. Well with the mac 30" cinema display and the mac pro it makes the USP freak out when they go to sleep because its a large power drain so it boots back up.

The Fix: Move the monitor off of a controlled outlet to a normal battery/surge port. System sleeps fine

Weird fix but it works. Now if I could only get my media devices to sill recognize content on my Media Hdd in the computer while it slept my life would be perfect. Sadly I don't think it works that way

jaxhunter

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
Maryland Eastern Shore
Your best best would be to put your Media library on NAS device or something like that. A NAS will keep the network connection alive but spin down the drive when it's not in use. A computer doesn't really have this ability, though Power Nap on the MacBook models is close.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Your best best would be to put your Media library on NAS device or something like that. A NAS will keep the network connection alive but spin down the drive when it's not in use. A computer doesn't really have this ability, though Power Nap on the MacBook models is close.

Thats an idea I have been kicking around. The whole reason I need to do something is because my mac pro never sleeps because it is my media server.I tried to keep the server up while it slept but I cant do that. The ~200w power consumption is not only costly but heats my room that its in.
Now my options are:
1. get a Nas and hook that up
2. Mac Mini and connect my usb drive too it.
3. PogoPlug(although I heard these are kinda terrible)

Funny thing is I just got a Macbook Air(im not going to use that for this because I need it portable) so buying a Mac mini seems overkill(I have a ppcG5, MacPro, iMac for business so I cant use that and now a macbook air)

Moved to MacMini so I didn't go too far off topic:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1737107/

Last edited:

jaxhunter

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
Maryland Eastern Shore
The only problem with the NAS idea is that all it is is a file share. It won't actually work as a media server. You wouldn't be able to connect to it from an AppleTV, for example, because the AppleTV looks for a media server. So for that youl d would want either a Mac Mini or something else that runs either a media server or iTunes.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
The only problem with the NAS idea is that all it is is a file share. It won't actually work as a media server. You wouldn't be able to connect to it from an AppleTV, for example, because the AppleTV looks for a media server. So for that youl d would want either a Mac Mini or something else that runs either a media server or iTunes.
I was under the impression you could get them to run a UPnP server or else just plugging a HDD into a router would negate the need for NAS boxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.