Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WOLFeen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Vienna
Hi all!

I´m new on this forum and I´ve been a Mac user for the past 10 years.

At the moment I´m working on a G4 Digital Audio 733 MHz and I´m thinking about a processor upgrade to make it faster with a Mercury Extreme upgrade card (http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=5860&Item=OWCME41400L2D).

The guys in my Macstore dont sell and dont recommend those upgrades :)

Does anyone have experiences with that or any suggestions?

I wanna run Nuendo 2.0 and Logic 6.x mainly.

All the best

WOLFeen :)

Ps: I have a G3 also, dunno if upgrading this one would make any sense?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Sonnett and some other companies actually have procers you just replace yours with. Its easy and cost about 2-400. Check them out, MacMall or MacWarehouse have them for sale to check out.

I want a Processor or Mobo upgrade for TiBooks, I want to offload my 500Mhz and have at least 32MB of Video Ram.

TEG

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I would say go for a upgrade from , owc,sonnet and or giga. i am and have been using a 1.4 owc mercury extreme in a 733 and its been pretty good. iam playing ut2003 etc etc. everything is snappier and game frame rates improved a lot. This is a excellent way to stretch that quicksilver, load up your ram, get a new video card and you are good to go another year or 2 at least that is my philosophy then when g5 apps/games are common place ill buy one. Forget what those mac guys are telling you because they want you to buy a new machine which is still good but your 733 has a ways to go if you want it. They just announced the ati 9800 for mac towers so what do you think my next purchase will be?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
1 more comment ,check your wallet and then go for the upgrade you can afford and do a little research on the make and speed of the upgrade you are interested in at places like xl8yourmac, or benches at owc. I bought a single 1.4 but a dual 1.25 or 1.4 could be the ticket. since so many mac games are cpu bound i went with a single 1.4. wolfenstein,ut2003,4x4 Evolution which by the way is a great game if you have the power to turn it all on. I do.

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
I upgraded my G4 from a 800 to a 1.4, and I'm very happy. I think I'll get another year or so out of the machine because of it.

My philosophy is that every computer gets one upgrade, then out it goes.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by mstecker
I upgraded my G4 from a 800 to a 1.4, and I'm very happy. I think I'll get another year or so out of the machine because of it.

My philosophy is that every computer gets one upgrade, then out it goes.
glad to hear this, i think owners of most g4 towers can make those towers go a long ways if they want. Think of this you have a gig of memory you want to walk away and start over? the power in any Powermac is expandability. I am going to max out memory,video card,cpu(1.4) and then get a g5. 1-2 years. 4-5 yrs from machine! then hand it off to family. sorry for the edit but one more little fact i have been hit 3 times by lighting and still going after a few ethernet cards.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by TEG
Sonnett and some other companies actually have procers you just replace yours with. Its easy and cost about 2-400. Check them out, MacMall or MacWarehouse have them for sale to check out.

I want a Processor or Mobo upgrade for TiBooks, I want to offload my 500Mhz and have at least 32MB of Video Ram.

TEG
http://www.villagetronic.com

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
glad to hear this, i think owners of most g4 towers can make those towers go a long ways if they want. Think of this you have a gig of memory you want to walk away and start over? the power in any Powermac is expandability. I am going to max out memory,video card,cpu(1.4) and then get a g5. 1-2 years. 4-5 yrs from machine! then hand it off to family. sorry for the edit but one more little fact i have been hit 3 times by lighting and still going after a few ethernet cards.
powerlogix is rumored to have a 1.6 g4 upgrade in 4 weeks at $599 and the newer g4's with the 512K cache should be out by xmas. i am sure G5 upgrades will probably come out for G5,s sometime next year also so you cant really lose

meta-ghost

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2002
San Francisco
i have a rev 1 G4 450 i bought when i was living in hong kong in 1999. i think it was first off the boat... anyway, in my house (wife, kid, bills) a new machine was a political impossibility. small discrete packages arriving at odd intervals are not questioned. so over the years i've added ram, a slave 120 gig hd, a radeon 8500 and a pioneer a05 drive. at that point i found out that to burn 60 minutes of dvd it was taking over 5 hours with the original 450 processor. so, i rang sonnet and ordered a 1.2 gig processor. now burning is at 90 minutes for 60 minutes of video and other apps fly.

aside from that - i do have an attachment to the machine, as silly as that sounds. i'm going to use this until the duel 3's when i'll be first in line.

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
The success stories I hear from ya'll give me a boner for my 533Mhz Power Mac and a processor upgrade.

I appreciate all the feedback you've given this guy, it's helped me as well.

WOLFeen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Vienna
cool

thx boyz!

I think a dual processor upgrade will be the best solution for me, cause afaik both Logic and Nuendo do support dual processing!

I´ll keep you informed about my experiences when I installed it :)

Maya

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Looking into this as well for my B/W G3... Sonnet has a 1GHZ drop in ZIF upgrade for the beige G3's, but, ironically, not the B/W ones yet... I emailed them, and they responded by telling me they have a higher speed one in the pipeline for the B/W's, or G4's with the ZIF socket, but couldn't give me an ETA. But new stuff is coming! I would bet we'll start seeing talk of G5 upgrades before too long also, but do to the heat of that processor currently, I'm not sure if it's really plausible in older G4's or G3's... Not sure if this is totally on topic, just wanted to give some info I had on processor upgrades!

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by VIREBEL661
I would bet we'll start seeing talk of G5 upgrades before too long also, but do to the heat of that processor currently, I'm not sure if it's really plausible in older G4's or G3's... Not sure if this is totally on topic, just wanted to give some info I had on processor upgrades!

As far as I know (from the WWDC demo), the G5 is a completely different socket all together.

Plutronics

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2003
Illinois
I Bought a QuickSilver 2001 with a 733Mhz processor on e-bay ( the slowest speed and no L3 ) planning on kicking it up with a CPU upgrade. I researched all the Options on http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ and bought a Power-Logic from OWC.
http://eshop.macsales.com/
But had problems with it.... OWC Exchanged it for a Gaga-Design 1.26GHZ with no hassles at all. Had they had their Mercury extreme out then, I would have went for it.
I think you should buy my Giga so i can afford a Dual Power logic!
I bought a Quad KVM and a 18.1" LCD and have the QS, 2 B&W's with one spot a spare. I care little if the #1 BLue and White G3 @ 300MHz took most of 5 hours to down load the 10.2.6 combo update on my dial-up, i just push a button, start a DVD recording on the QS, Rip an Audio CD on the #2 B&W G4 upgrade @ 450Mhz and then Turn to my Pismo and do data entry for my Company. That's what Multitasking / MultiProcessor is all about!!!
The Spare KVM spot it Waiting for My Rev 2B Dual 3 GHz G5 next year!!

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by BrandonRP0123
As far as I know (from the WWDC demo), the G5 is a completely different socket all together.
trust me they will find a way i think the sytem buss on the g5 is only 200MHZ i may be wrong the fsb is 1000 thats for sure. but we still have not seen benchmarks of the dual 1.25 vs the single 1.6-1.8 G5 i think the g4 will win most until software is optimized for the g5 and that can take years although i think all of apples software will be updated within a year including panther routines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.