Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I would like to request a forum, maybe under Mac Interests, dedicated to programming on the mac (suggested title = "Mac Programming"). People could ask questions about non web programming related technologies like XCode, C, C++, even Java, etc...

Thoughts mods?

Also, nobody seemed to like my networking (as in computer networking) forum idea either, eh?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
kingjr3 said:
Also, nobody seemed to like my networking (as in computer networking) forum idea either, eh?
There's only so much you can talk about networking, and there's no way it's enough to warrant it's own forum.

Likewise, there doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough programming discussion going on to warrant its own forums either IMO.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
edesignuk said:
Likewise, there doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough programming discussion going on to warrant its own forums either IMO.

Perhaps becuase nobody knows where to post it ;) Look how many posts you have in Mac Scene and then rethink that comment :)

As for the networking forum, it was to keep all the network related posts in one area. They are scattered between General, Hardware, Software and even Panther/Tiger...Just do a search and see for yourself, although many of you are the ones helping others.

If the software allows you to group posts, why not take advantage?

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I think it could be a good idea. I've had some programming questions that I just didn't post on here because it didn't really seem like a place to put it. Seems like there have been more programming questions lately and I think a programming forum would be useful.

nerd

macrumors member
May 15, 2004
I also like the programming forum idea. It seems like there have been an increasing number of posts in this area lately. Maybe the programming forum could be a little broader and also include Unix, terminal, and Applescript topics, too.

On the other hand, I don't really care. I'm going to read these topics wherever I find them.

mac_handle

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2004
it's a good idea ,I had many mac programming questions .but cann't post on .because there isn't programming forum .

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
kingjr3 said:
It looks so empty...

Maybe we could move these into the new category?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/89525/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/85304/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/88072/

Thanks Mudbug, I plan to use that new category extensively since I am learning Obj-C and XCode...

I moved those threads - seemed like the right place for them anyway.

And you're welcome. I'm always game to at least entertain an idea that will benefit the site. Glad to be of service. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.