Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
It's weird, but there are more Mac users than ever, but it seems the wide diversity of many different Mac tech blogs has gone down. Perhaps I'm wrong about this?

I now only visit these for news and rumors:
MacRumors.com
(no longer visit 9to5 as they keep injecting too much of their politics in their pieces so haven't visited in couple of years)

And on the more tech side:
AppleInsider.com

Those seem to be the only ones that remotely still get into deeper technical topics that pro/enthusiasts would care about (and macrumors really doesnt do that, but they are more for the news and rumors). Like some of the areas of tech development are basically never mentioned in the Mac/tech press (even developing new tech that has been expanding over the last 5-10 years, eg, U.2 drives, EDSFF, optical networking that now has hit 400Gbps over the last couple of years, that CAT8 regular copper ethernet can do 40gbps, etc).

For example, no one in the wider press even mentioned something basic like the Times and Courier fonts no longer are part of macOS Sonoma as I found out per this thread. No sites even reviewed Xerox's and HP's top color laser printers. Right now, Mac pro's can't even discern what random U.2/U.3 drives might work on a Mac, and no tech site has bothered to test such basic high capacity SSDs on a Mac, something that would have happened in the past, I think.

And I realize as time has gone on, the more pro tech sites have gone away. Most sites today just seem to blast out the same boring news bits, boilerplate on some .rev apple release with near zero tech insight, and really bring not much to the table beyond a press release. Frankly the tech depth that some of the retro YouTube channels and retro sites far outstrip the mainstream Mac/tech press.

For non Mac specific sites, I've recently found these 2 sites and I like some of what they do too.

Just curious what some of your 'go to' cool real deep tech sites are that actually keep you apprised of real developments in tech, or have they all evaporated?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: paalb

paalb

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
I do not have any to add. But would like to thank you for the two non Mac specific sites. Hope you get response on this.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014

jimmy_john

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023
This site gets into a good bit of tech issues too. And it’s interesting, none of the lackey Mac tech press has reported on this issue:

I totally forgot about diglloyd. The Fox News of Mac websites. That dude sure isn't afraid of embarrassing himself.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
For history sakes, one of my dear favorites was of course this one here

Unfortunately the owner died and the site is inactive since 2022. Very sad and it confirms your beginning statement. I think this is a most unfortunate trend that will continue because of a very specific reason.
Macs can no longer be upgraded and pimped beyond its intended lifecycle. Because of this, third parties will struggle more and more. Forums and other platforms suffer, because there is just nothing left to discuss, configure, enhance or change. Very sad. Apple became a walled garden without any escape for the capitalist technocrats that run Humankind last chapter, called: "The World Economic Forum Super Enslavement of tyranny and digital dictatorship".
Enjoy every day of the old world as long as it may last. Slowly the "good old" world as we know it disappears in front of our eyes...

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Thanks for this! Nice to be reminded of all the great Mac sites. MacRumors is still tops for me, mostly for this here Mac Pro forum. I still visit Macintouch; I used to have a friend, now sadly deceased, who was a friend of Ric Ford. I also used to visit MacObserver back when it was still part of Mac Geek Gab, but since the handover it just hasn't been the same - hard to put in words, but the flashiness puts me off.

I'll put in a good word for Allison Sheridan's site, Podfeet.com. Although she bills it as having "a slight Apple bias," in truth it's a pretty Apple-centric ground level view of the current computing experience, complete with real world reviews from hobbyists like myself. She also hosts a bi-weekly security discussion with Bart Busschotts under the banner "Security Bits" that I like a lot. The Podfeet site is the print version of Allison's Nosillacast podcast.

Since I mentioned the Nosillacast podcast, I'll also mention another one that I look forward to each week: 2.5 Admins. Hosted by Allan Jude, Jim Salter, and Joe Ressington, 2.5 Admins is an entertaining deep dive into tech news each week, along with some free consulting at the end of every episode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.