Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Fu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Taipei, Taiwan
Hi All,

I was using a Macbook Pro for my daily use, but it seems I got my cMP4-5, I am not sure which one is the best

1. Sleep
2. Shutdown

Other questions

1. how long should I reset NVRAM? only when I need or?
2. About the Battery of CMOS, how long should I replace it?

I know those are very simple questions, but I hope someone can help with them.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Depends on your setup. Sleep isn't very reliable in macOS, but if it works for you, then just let it sleep usually is a better choice (wake up is much faster than cold boot, and very easy to resume from last working state, etc). But of course, sleep use more electricity.

For NVRAM reset, if you mainly sleep the cMP, then it shouldn't be a problem.

But if you do cold boot everyday, then may be do a BootROM check every month. Or if you don't quite know how to read the parameters, then just do a 4x NVRAM reset once a month should be more than enough.

I bought my cMP back in 2009 from Apple directly. Then it runs almost 24/7 everyday until 2021. Then I stored it into warehouse due to I have to move to another country. But because of COVID, it end up being stored for almost 18 months, then it works 24/7 again. The original BM2032 is still working.

So, if you can get the BM2032, then most likely it can work for more than 10 years. If you aren't sure should you replace the battery, you can always shutdown the cMP, get the battery out, and measure its voltage. Again, if you aren't sure, then may be just swap it every 5 years.

For CM2032, it has much lower heat resistance ability, therefore, it really depends on the operating temperature. May be you have to change it every two years.

John Fu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Taipei, Taiwan
Depends on your setup. Sleep isn't very reliable in macOS, but if it works for you, then just let it sleep usually is a better choice (wake up is much faster than cold boot, and very easy to resume from last working state, etc). But of course, sleep use more electricity.

For NVRAM reset, if you mainly sleep the cMP, then it shouldn't be a problem.

But if you do cold boot everyday, then may be do a BootROM check every month. Or if you don't quite know how to read the parameters, then just do a 4x NVRAM reset once a month should be more than enough.

I bought my cMP back in 2009 from Apple directly. Then it runs almost 24/7 everyday until 2021. Then I stored it into warehouse due to I have to move to another country. But because of COVID, it end up being stored for almost 18 months, then it works 24/7 again. The original BM2032 is still working.

So, if you can get the BM2032, then most likely it can work for more than 10 years. If you aren't sure should you replace the battery, you can always shutdown the cMP, get the battery out, and measure its voltage. Again, if you aren't sure, then may be just swap it every 5 years.

For CM2032, it has much lower heat resistance ability, therefore, it really depends on the operating temperature. May be you have to change it every two years.
Thanks for the note, there is another question, I have more than 128G RAM on it, and as you know, it takes a long time to boot up, if I reset the NVRAM, should I restore my original GPU? because from the other treat, it said you need to have the original GPU to run to let 256G work, my 6600 is already GOP, but I am still not sure about it! Thank you!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Shouldn't be required.

I guess they mean "after NVRAM reset, the cMP may not boot to OpenCore by default anymore", therefore, you better have the original, allow you to hold Option key to boot, then manually select OpenCore at the Apple native startup manager.

If your cMP has EnableGop support, then your 6600 should be perfectly fine for this job.

Reactions: John Fu

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
In case of sleep you have to separate full sleep (hibernatemode 25) from "normal" sleep.

Hibernatemode 25 is technically suspend to disk and shutdown. The front LED is totally off and the PSU has shut completlely down. You could unplug it and carry it elsewhere.

After wakeup (what is power on), the nvram is written like it's booted freshly.

I use this on my MP3,1 as this beast draws a lot of current in normal sleep and I often don't use it for days. As a lot of code of the Dumper was written on this machine on weekends I track the nvram of it very well :)

Reactions: John Fu

kukata81

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2024
Hello! What do you mean "not very reliable"? It always goes to sleep on mine, but I'm wondering if not shutting down is somehow shortening the life of the hardware?

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I've been leaving on my desktop Mac's since the late 90s, no issues haha. I like to keep the displays asleep when away. If away for longer than a few days, I just shut down the Mac Pro. I'd like my desktop to be always available for me since it's such a deep part of my life.

For laptops, of course I just close the lid and let it go to sleep.

Reactions: MarkC426

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Likewise my cMP has only slept for the past 13 years.
I only replaced the battery this year...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.