Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
For me this figure is 40 GB per day, whether I use mac or not. I have tried reinstalling mac OS, but even a clean system behaves the same way.
I am trying to figure out if this is the norm or not.
This is the norm. The operating system is constantly writing data to disk .. log entries, caching data, etc... many processes are running in the back ground on your Mac... whether you are doing something or not.

Reactions: smirking

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
This is the norm. The operating system is constantly writing data to disk .. log entries, caching data, etc... many processes are running in the back ground on your Mac... whether you are doing something or not.
well, as far as I understand, does the system write the cache of applications in order to access them faster? but then why wasn't there such a thing on intel?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My solution is very controversial here at macrumors.
It is:
DISABLE VM disk swapping.

That will STOP much of (most of?) the incessant "disk writing".

You DO have to have enough RAM
and
You DO have to take care to manage the RAM you have.

But if you're capable of doing those things, it works great.

• Angry
Reactions: Feek

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
It’s fine.

About 1 day and 30 minutes since last restart (a.k.a. uptime).

Data Read: 112 GB
Data Written: 70 GB

Memory pressure is always green.

You don’t say what your root concern is… But if it’s about SSD wear, you don’t need to worry.

My three year old Mac mini has a total of 17.4 TBW and a calculated 99% lifetime left.

Reactions: gank41 and Chuckeee

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
It’s fine.

About 1 day and 30 minutes since last restart (a.k.a. uptime).

Data Read: 112 GB
Data Written: 70 GB

Memory pressure is always green.

You don’t say what your root concern is… But if it’s about SSD wear, you don’t need to worry.

My three year old Mac mini has a total of 17.4 TBW and a calculated 99% lifetime left.
the fact is that my mac mini on m2 has already recorded 3 terabytes in 1 month!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.36.20.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.36.20.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 105

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
My solution is very controversial here at macrumors.
It is:
DISABLE VM disk swapping.

That will STOP much of (most of?) the incessant "disk writing".

You DO have to have enough RAM
and
You DO have to take care to manage the RAM you have.

But if you're capable of doing those things, it works great.

I have 16 GB of RAM, and it's always green.

what is the risk of disabling virtual machine disk swap?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
If we assume your Mac continues to write about 40GB per day:

40 GB multiplied by 365 days equals 14600 GB or 14.6 TB per year
150 TB to use divided by 14.6 TB per year equals 10.27, or at least 10 years of usage.

Last edited by a moderator:

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
If we assume your Mac continues to write about 40GB per day:

40 GB multiplied by 365 days equals 14600 GB or 14.6 TB per year
150 TB to use divided by 14.6 TB per year equals 10.27, or at least 10 years of usage.

I'm interested to know what other people's tbw scores are, so I'll figure out if it's a problem or not.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I'm interested to know what other people's tbw scores are, so I'll figure out if it's a problem or not.

Here's mine. 85TB over 24 months. I exceed 3TB/month. I'm a developer and I do a lot of things that require a lot of disk use.

DriveDX rates my SSD at 98% health. I have a 2TB drive though so it's 8x larger than yours. If I had a 256GB drive, I'd be at 80 to 85% health after 2 years.

Capto_Capture 2024-01-11_11-39-35_AM2.jpg

You should also consider that any one month is not indicative of your overall usage trend, especially when that month is your first month when everyone is likely to be putting more writes to their disk as they get their systems setup.

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
I'm really curious what the heck MacOS is doing that it's writing to disk so much. In less than a year, the m1 mini has written to the boot drive about 3x as much as my Windows PC did in 4?yrs. It didn't much matter with Windows because I could easily clone the drive and replace it. With the Mac that's all she wrote.

I've offloaded my media files and downloads and games and less used apps to an external SSD too.

Edit to add: I think it sucks for Apple to a) charge extortionate rate for storage leading people to buy the smallest drive they can get away with, b) make the computer a doorstop when the internal drive fails, c) be unmindful of how much the OS writes to disk. This company just makes me feel bad for giving it money

Last edited:

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I'm really curious what the heck MacOS is doing that it's writing to disk so much. In less than a year, the m1 mini has written to the boot drive about 3x as much as my Windows PC did in 4?yrs.
Usage differences?

My ‘PC’ and Mac mini are only a couple months different in age. I have very little personal information on my Windows machine whereas the Mac is mostly for “typical” usage (e.g., email, web browsing, photos, music). The PC SSD has had ~10.9 TBW thus far — it also has a 2TB drive, so that’s practically nothing for wear.

I think it sucks for Apple to a) charge extortionate rate for storage leading people to buy the smallest drive they can get away with
• I don’t think Apple (including its shareholders) are losing sleep about max profits
• I do agree the markup/premium on upgrades prices are harsh compared to the typical “Apple tax."
• Even if prices were cut in half or more, we shouldn’t encourage (excess) excess. I was using a 1TB drive with my 2012 Mac mini, so I needed to do some ‘house cleaning’ before migrating to this M1 Mac mini. IMO, pushing people to be more efficient is a good thing. With that said, 512GB is still looking tight for my usage, so I will be going for at least a terabyte of primary storage on the next machine.

It didn't much matter with Windows because I could easily clone the drive and replace it. With the Mac that's all she wrote.
b) make the computer a doorstop when the internal drive fails
This concern appears a lot but there’s no evidence it’s justified fear. Can you recall ever reading, hearing, etc about an SSD failure in a Mac, including the Intel models, or an iDevice for that matter — which I have little doubt they rely much more on disk access (e.g., memory swapping) than most Macs? Furthermore, to my recollection, any SSD failure reports have been based on a controller fault or a firmware problem, not NAND wear. I have read about NAND wear failures though only involving endurance testing.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
PC was my workhorse before switching to Mac. I do pretty much the same things now, except I'm much more mindful about what I put on the internal SSD of the Mac for reasons stated

Download and run a trial of DriveDX and post the results. Almost everyone who comes in concerned about burning out their SSD has no realistic chance of even coming close even under their own worst case scenarios. Chances are, you don't need to worry.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I have only one rule; that is to keep plenty of free space on my SSDs. Especially the internal with the swap function. SSDs supposedly works harder and stresses more when close to full, than we saw with spinning HDs.

I agree that the OP's observations should not be of any concern, and that it's how it's meant to work, with the processor, memory and internal drive tightly integrated as they are on new macs.

I have 400GB written, and 160 read. That's since I restarted, maybe last week. Mostly Firefox, also launchdeamon, kerneltask and mds processes.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I wake up
70GB free!
go to sleep
54GB free
wake up
delete watched TV shows, a movie prob 5GB
restart
70GB free!

I missed the boat on all this "disk load value in active monitoring" and other M chip "image" something.
do I need to learn this?
I rather not
and simply enjoy life and save a brain cell or two.

thanks!

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I missed the boat on all this "disk load value in active monitoring" and other M chip "image" something.
do I need to learn this?
I think they meant the Activity Monitor app. Applications/Utilities/.
Shows you all the basic things going on on your mac.

Reactions: MBAir2010

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
Usage differences?

My ‘PC’ and Mac mini are only a couple months different in age. I have very little personal information on my Windows machine whereas the Mac is mostly for “typical” usage (e.g., email, web browsing, photos, music). The PC SSD has had ~10.9 TBW thus far — it also has a 2TB drive, so that’s practically nothing for wear.

• I don’t think Apple (including its shareholders) are losing sleep about max profits
• I do agree the markup/premium on upgrades prices are harsh compared to the typical “Apple tax."
• Even if prices were cut in half or more, we shouldn’t encourage (excess) excess. I was using a 1TB drive with my 2012 Mac mini, so I needed to do some ‘house cleaning’ before migrating to this M1 Mac mini. IMO, pushing people to be more efficient is a good thing. With that said, 512GB is still looking tight for my usage, so I will be going for at least a terabyte of primary storage on the next machine.

This concern appears a lot but there’s no evidence it’s justified fear. Can you recall ever reading, hearing, etc about an SSD failure in a Mac, including the Intel models, or an iDevice for that matter — which I have little doubt they rely much more on disk access (e.g., memory swapping) than most Macs? Furthermore, to my recollection, any SSD failure reports have been based on a controller fault or a firmware problem, not NAND wear. I have read about NAND wear failures though only involving endurance testing.
macOS loaded 200 GB onto my disk in 1 day. I only recorded and deleted (movies) on my EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE, but when I opened drivedx, I saw 3.3 terabytes, even though it was 3.1 yesterday.

It's possible that when I delete, I move files from my HDD to the trash, so it goes to the SSD on the Mac?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
macOS loaded 200 GB onto my disk in 1 day. I only recorded and deleted (movies) on my EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE, but when I opened drivedx, I saw 3.3 terabytes, even though it was 3.1 yesterday.

It's possible that when I delete, I move files from my HDD to the trash, so it goes to the SSD on the Mac?
Even at 200 GB per day, that is only 73 TBW per year. At that rate the total lifetime will still be 20 years at 1500 TBW which is a guesstimate of the lifespan of an Apple 256 GB SSD. Longer TBWs with larger SSDs.

Reactions: Mike Boreham

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
Even at 200 GB per day, that is only 73 TBW per year. At that rate the total lifetime will still be 20 years at 1500 TBW which is a guesstimate of the lifespan of an Apple 256 GB SSD. Longer TBWs with larger SSDs.
Where did you get such data?

I recently saw the results of one user on reddit, and they surprised me.

at 620 terabytes, the disk health percentage is 57 percent.
Samsung disks were tested, and there the memory capacity was 4000-7000 terabytes for the 250 GB version, why couldn't Apple make the same reliable disks?

Attachments

• b7LkY8UiZ94.jpg
    b7LkY8UiZ94.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 64
  • 7GPq3Z12SbQ.jpg
    7GPq3Z12SbQ.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 62

dontlan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
are there any apple ssd tests?
Are you saying this based on personal experience

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.