Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laughvada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
Hi, I am using a mac book pro 2017, Mojave 10.14.6. I was having some issues so i reinstalled the operating system via command r and restart etc. I was having to keep changing my passwords via apple id and then finding after sleeping they would not work so i would have to do the same again. This is still continuing despite the reset, but now the system and apple id reset does not reckonise the new passwords. I just checked the ssd and tried to repair it and it says its corrupted, but i cant access the recovery or reset prams etc using the keyboards. I have searched the net and read most responses to this issue, however there is nothing i can find to help me solve this situation. Any ideas?

I thought if i could get access to the system again i can factory reinstall the mac, so i was looking for other options to do this, but again i cant find them. I am not sure the mac is shutting down properly also?

Cheers.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
What key combinations have you tried?

I am not sure about having to change the Apple ID, but I wonder if the other issues might be a keyboard issue, maybe try an external wired keyboard?

laughvada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
What key combinations have you tried?

I am not sure about having to change the Apple ID, but I wonder if the other issues might be a keyboard issue, maybe try an external wired keyboard?
Hi thanks for the reply. I used cmd R and the power button, cmd alt P R power.

I have tied another keyboard, though it is a pc one. The key commands worked fine before i reinstalled the operating system last week?

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
So what is happening when you hold ⌘-R? Does it prompt for a password? Or just boots into Mojave?

If the second thing, I would start by logging out of iCloud in syspref and trying again. If it still goes to Mojave, you may want to try creating a bootable installer which will give you access to Reinstall Utilities, or booting in target disk mode if you have another Mac.

I also have your original issue, of iCloud signin in syspref no longer working despite reinstall. But not your newer issue of not being able to get into Recovery Mode. I would definitely say to focus on reinstalling again first.

laughvada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
So what is happening when you hold ⌘-R? Does it prompt for a password? Or just boots into Mojave?

If the second thing, I would start by logging out of iCloud in syspref and trying again. If it still goes to Mojave, you may want to try creating a bootable installer which will give you access to Reinstall Utilities, or booting in target disk mode if you have another Mac.

I also have your original issue, of iCloud signin in syspref no longer working despite reinstall. But not your newer issue of not being able to get into Recovery Mode. I would definitely say to focus on reinstalling again first.
Thanks for the reply.

When i use the command keys i just get taken to the start up page. ( sign in ) Then i don't know whether or not my password is going to be accepted, so i can access the main computer, however now this is very unstable showing signs of other issues.

I will look into creating an installer as I have never done that before.

Reinstalling the OS first before doing a reset? I wonder why having done that already seems to have caused more issues? Mind you, we are living in a place where wifi is not so reliable, and we suffer from blackouts.

Thanks for your help. I am a not so familar with having to do fixes myself so you might have to bear with me.

laughvada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
Yes .. so the password did not work ... i reset it again and that does not work, i did it twice, the prompt i get for the password that was set previous to both of these. If i cant acess the start up i guess i cant do much? Can i ?

laughvada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
Yes .. so the password did not work ... i reset it again and that does not work, i did it twice, the prompt i get for the password that was set previous to both of these. If i cant acess the start up i guess i cant do much? Can i ?

Ahhh after 3 hours it works .. i can at least get back in, but i know it will be an issue again sorry about this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.