Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Severed_hand_of_skywalker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2022
I like to make the Macintosh HD icon look the same as my computer which in this case is the Mac Studio. I can't seem to find one online. Has anyone else?

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
All you need to do is:
* Copy Mac Studio Picture (and edit it as you would like)
* Go to finder and click on "Get Info" for your Macintosh HD
* Click on the icon on the top left corner
* On the File menu, hit "Paste"

Voila! There is your Mac Studio Icon for your HD

This is what it will look like:

1649984060614.png

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2022
Ha well I actually already did that but as you can see the white bottom corners it doesn’t look clean. I even photoshopped that out but it could still look better if someone made a vector of it.

Solenoid289

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2020
Japan
macOS (12.3.1) hasn't Mac Studio icon yet, but I'm sure it will come with the next software update. so if I were you I would wait.

screenshot.jpg

You can access Apple product icons by following the steps below.

Open Finder>Go>Go to Folder>, type /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle. Then Control-Click CoreTypes.bundle and Show Package Contents. Open Contents>Resources

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
In the meantime, you could use this image. It comes from Apple and has transparency.

(You can find images like these by doing a Google Images search, click Tools, and change the Color to Transparent to show those that have a transparent background.)

1649988431729.png

Last edited:

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2022
Cool thanks, I used the transparent one but I cropped it down on the right and left so it shows up a bit better to scale on my Mac. I look forward to a vector one!

cdalvaro

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2018
The icon is located at: /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/CoreTypes-0003.bundle/Contents/Resources/com.apple.macstudio.icns

Could someone tell me how to find the SF Symbol for the Mac Studio? (the one displayed on the Finder sidebar)

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
The icon is located at: /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/CoreTypes-0003.bundle/Contents/Resources/com.apple.macstudio.icns

Could someone tell me how to find the SF Symbol for the Mac Studio? (the one displayed on the Finder sidebar)
Nice find! Do have a screenshot of what the sidebar icon looks like? Seems like most of those are in "/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources" as well, but not seeing one specifically for the Studio.

I ran a 'find' command in Terminal to attempt to find it, but no results.
find . -name "*Sidebar*studio*.icns

This command did find the one you found, but still no others.
find . -name "*studio*.icns

While I was looking for this, I realized I couldn't find the sidebar icons for my iPad Pro and iPhone 13 either. The ones at the path above have a home button. I found some that have Face ID in "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AMPDevices.framework/Versions/A/Resources", but they don't look quite the same. Maybe some of these newer sidebar icons aren't icns files, or are hidden/embedded in some other file.

Last edited:

cdalvaro

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2018
Nice find! Do have a screenshot of what the sidebar icon looks like? Seems like most of those are in "/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources" as well, but not seeing one specifically for the Studio.

I ran a 'find' command in Terminal to attempt to find it, but no results.
find . -name "*Sidebar*studio*.icns

This command did find the one you found, but still no others.
find . -name "*studio*.icns

While I was looking for this, I realized I couldn't find the sidebar icons for my iPad Pro and iPhone 13 either. The ones at the path above have a home button. I found some that have Face ID in "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AMPDevices.framework/Versions/A/Resources", but they don't look quite the same. Maybe some of these newer sidebar icons aren't icns files, or are hidden/embedded in some other file.
Since macOS Big Sur, sidebar icons are taken from San Francisco Symbols, so you can pick them from the SF Symbols app: https://developer.apple.com/sf-symbols/

However the Mac Studio has not been added yet to the latest version of the app.

The symbol must be in some place with the reference j375 since this is the value set for the key UTTypeSymbolName inside /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/CoreTypes-0003.bundle/Contents/Info.plist

Although I haven't found it yet.

Reactions: BigBlur

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Since macOS Big Sur, sidebar icons are taken from San Francisco Symbols, so you can pick them from the SF Symbols app: https://developer.apple.com/sf-symbols/

However the Mac Studio has not been added yet to the latest version of the app.

The symbol must be in some place with the reference j375 since this is the value set for the key UTTypeSymbolName inside /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/CoreTypes-0003.bundle/Contents/Info.plist

Although I haven't found it yet.
Some of the plist files in "/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreGlyphsPrivate.bundle/Contents/Resources" also have a reference to 'j375'. I suspect the icon/glyph is in that Assets.car file.

cdalvaro

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2018
Some of the plist files in "/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreGlyphsPrivate.bundle/Contents/Resources" also have a reference to 'j375'. I suspect the icon/glyph is in that Assets.car file.
Thank you very much!

You can use this tool to extract the contents of the Assets.car file and get the sidebar PNGs of the Mac Studio

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

Segway

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2022
Here is my version. Just select "Get Info" on the file and as well on the hard drive icon you want to replace, grab the image in the "Preview" block of my file and drag and drop it on the top icon next to the name of the drive.
static_front__fmvxob6uyxiu_large.png

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Does anyone have a nice high quality top down view icon? I think that would work really well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.