Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hey everyone,

I have a Mac Studio with two monitors. I have an LG monitor and the Studio Display. Whenever I lock my computer I select the "sleep" option and the screens turn off and back on right away. It takes several tries before the Mac Studio goes into sleep mode. Sometimes it goes into sleep mode, but after a while when I get back I see the screen is on and stays on for hours. What could be causing this? Thanks,

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Same here. I have given up on fighting this. It would be nice if they had indicators as in the old days - a blinking white power light.
Try turning off wake on network.

wdhpgx

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
From what I've read, with the recent OS versions and the m1 processor, getting a mac to reliably stay asleep is a lot more complicated than it used to be. I ended up using Sleep Aid:

which seems to help a lot; I feel like I have a lot more control and visibility into it.

Also see other thread about sleeping:

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
I had the same issue using the sleep in the menu bar and found creating a shortcut to sleep as a moderate solution.

See if it works - System Preferences > Keyboard under the tab Shortcuts and select App Shortcuts in the left column, then click the plus button. In the dialog box use Sleep for the "Menu Title" field and select a free shortcut. You will then find it is listed under the  menu. It does still wake sometimes after immediate sleep but hitting the key is faster. I’ve also found it will only go to sleep and stay asleep if I’m in an Apple application such mail, music or desktop.

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
When I use the Sleep under the Apple menu my system often will pop right back up. I have gotten used to pressing the Touch ID button on my keyboard with a finger other than the one I use to wake it, and then the esc key. That seems to work better.

Reactions: YatBob

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Since I recently had something similar with my MBA.. off-shoot chance it could be related.

Bluetooth-devices. If you have a corded/dongled mouse/keyboard at least available for troubleshooting, try turning off bluetooth altogether and see if the problem persists.

Regardless, get this into the terminal and wait for the output. It will tell you why it woke up!
pmset -g log | grep -i "wake from"

Reactions: wdhpgx

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
Hey everyone,

I have a Mac Studio with two monitors. I have an LG monitor and the Studio Display. Whenever I lock my computer I select the "sleep" option and the screens turn off and back on right away. It takes several tries before the Mac Studio goes into sleep mode. Sometimes it goes into sleep mode, but after a while when I get back I see the screen is on and stays on for hours. What could be causing this? Thanks,
I've had this problem since I bought my Studio and nothing seems to help. Unplugged everything from Studio then into the Display and back again one connection at a time and it does the same thing. Sometimes it works on the first try sometimes it takes up to 10 tries to get it to sleep and not continue To wake up instantly. Searched everywhere even started a thread in this forum thread and nothing works. Never had this problem with my 27” iMac. Even went to and Apple Store and asked them and they said call Apple support when it happens. Very frustrating.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
My Studio is also the home NAS so it may wake up if some other computer or mobile device pings it. Normally the keyboard lights up though the monitors remain sleeping. I'm pretty sure that I have wake on network access turned on.

Felix Cortez

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2022
Same here. I have a Mac Studio and 3x monitors and it won't stay asleep. I'll note though, that this also happened with my 2018 Mac Mini. It may be a Ventura thing given the different hardware configurations.

Felix Cortez

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2022
From what I've read, with the recent OS versions and the m1 processor, getting a mac to reliably stay asleep is a lot more complicated than it used to be. I ended up using Sleep Aid:

which seems to help a lot; I feel like I have a lot more control and visibility into it.

@wdhpgx Thanks for the app suggestion. It helps a lot for gaining insight into root causes. It seems at least half my culprit is my Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed wireless mouse. I tried turning it off last night but it still was active. It connects to my Mac Studio via a 2.4 GHz USB receiver. I just disabled 'Wake for Maintenance' per the Sleep Aid App's suggestion, so we'll see. The investigation continues.

2023-05-12_08-53-19.png

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Definitely was the root cause for my studio sleep problem with MacOS Monterey - a generic mini USB mouse from China, which would the disrupt sleep every 5 seconds or so.

Reactions: b17777

photoj2754

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Akron
I had the same issue using the sleep in the menu bar and found creating a shortcut to sleep as a moderate solution.

See if it works - System Preferences > Keyboard under the tab Shortcuts and select App Shortcuts in the left column, then click the plus button. In the dialog box use Sleep for the "Menu Title" field and select a free shortcut. You will then find it is listed under the  menu. It does still wake sometimes after immediate sleep but hitting the key is faster. I’ve also found it will only go to sleep and stay asleep if I’m in an Apple application such mail, music or desktop.
Tried this when you first suggested it and it was very hit and miss, more miss. Went to another keyboard that I had and really liked before buying my Studio and it was horrible. So went back to my previous keyboard that I set up with your shortcut suggestion and it had been working like a charm. F13 pushed and for more than two weeks it has been going to sleep perfectly and only woke quickly twice in that time. Thanks for making this problem go away as best it can.

Reactions: designerdave72

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Tried this when you first suggested it and it was very hit and miss, more miss. Went to another keyboard that I had and really liked before buying my Studio and it was horrible. So went back to my previous keyboard that I set up with your shortcut suggestion and it had been working like a charm. F13 pushed and for more than two weeks it has been going to sleep perfectly and only woke quickly twice in that time. Thanks for making this problem go away as best it can.

No problem, glad it helps. I think there are loads of issues with shoddy macOS as well as including this issue and the display settings. Sadly, macOS 14 won’t be any better.

Reactions: photoj2754

Skeletor322

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2023
I have to hold my corded usb mouse still until the fans turn off, in order for my studio to go to sleep. Otherwise it will turn on the monitor again and not go to sleep.

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Common sense that user interaction will disable sleep mode. That's not a bug but expected behavior.

I have to hold my corded usb mouse still until the fans turn off, in order for my studio to go to sleep. Otherwise it will turn on the monitor again and not go to sleep.

kattam

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2021
@wdhpgx Thanks for the app suggestion. It helps a lot for gaining insight into root causes. It seems at least half my culprit is my Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed wireless mouse. I tried turning it off last night but it still was active. It connects to my Mac Studio via a 2.4 GHz USB receiver. I just disabled 'Wake for Maintenance' per the Sleep Aid App's suggestion, so we'll see. The investigation continues.

View attachment 2201025
I‘d be interested to know how things are going. Any news?

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
The only way that I can get my Studio to properly sleep is to use the Apple Menu to log myself out and then select Sleep (from the Menu upper right). This tells me that non-Apple software is interfering with sleep — but I haven't been able to isolate what app is doing it. I can tell when the Studio is sleeping when my external SSDs show that they're disconnected. I wish they'd bring back the pulsing LED during sleep.

Reactions: wdhpgx and kattam

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010

Wanna thank you so much... Sleep Aid saved my life... Now my mac studio stay sleep all the time and I let it in sleep state for hours, then come back and use it without shutdown it.

Thanks a lot to your post and to Sleep Aid developer.

kattam

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2021

Thanks for this recommendation.
I've tried this as well and played a little bit around with my settings.

When I disabled "Wake for maintenance" the tasks running while in sleep were significantly lower.
Just to test around I've enabled "Wake for maintenance" last night to see what the difference is. In both instances I had disabled Wi-Fi during sleep.

I had long insomnia sessions (one lasting 15 min, one lasting 1 hour) which was caused by a Background Task "com.apple.corespotlight.knowledge". Another one with 26 min was a Performance report "signpost_reporter_activity".

I will disable "Wake for maintenance" again.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Can you get your machines to sleep by logging in remotely via ssh and executing 'pmset sleepnow' on the command line?
This works on my (Intel) Macs when everything else seems to fail (with Wake on LAN and Power Nap turned off).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.