Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moondog17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2024
Hi, I purchased a new Mac Studio M2 Ultra last September. After a VST editor crash I had a problem with MIDI not being transmitted normally so went to reinstall Ventura but got a message the files were corrupted. I downloaded Ventura from the App Store and it installed normally.
I installed Logic and the audio driver for my RME interface. Apart from that it was a clean install.

I left the Mac in sleep mode with no software load and later came back into the room and the Mac had woken itself, the fans were going crazy and it was extremely hot. I'd never heard the fans before and it's usually cool to the touch. There was a notification that the Mac was closing itself down to prevent damage from overheating. I later rebooted it and there was an error log file on screen.

I contacted Apple via chat and submitted the log files but haven't had any explanation nor reassurance there isn't a problem. I bought the Mac with AppleCare+. TBH Apple have been uncharacteristically unhelpful and I still haven't had a resolution after a month. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
TBH Apple have been uncharacteristically unhelpful and I still haven't had a resolution after a month. Any advice would be appreciated.
Has it happened since? If the resolution you are looking for is an explanation of "why" it happened, the log file may not be enough information for Apple engineers to determine the cause.

Reactions: Moondog17

Moondog17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2024
Has it happened since? If the resolution you are looking for is an explanation of "why" it happened, the log file may not be enough information for Apple engineers to determine the cause.
I haven’t left it in sleep mode since but I did get a notification that there was insufficient power to a USB device which is strange because they are on a powered hub. The files were forwarded to an Apple engineer two weeks ago but I’ve not heard anything since. I would have expected to have had feedback, even if it was what you suggested.

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
FWIW I’ve never had this happen on my M2 Ultra Studio, I’ve never even heard the fans spin up. Sounds pretty extraordinary that it was overheating! Something might be defective, I’d just request a replacement.

Moondog17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2024
FWIW I’ve never had this happen on my M2 Ultra Studio, I’ve never even heard the fans spin up. Sounds pretty extraordinary that it was overheating! Something might be defective, I’d just request a replacement.
Yeah I hadn't had any issues before. It was totally silent. Apple won't refer to it as overheating and shutting down. The reference number is titled "problem with Logic running slow." Emails also referred to "noisy fans" but no emergency shutdown. This happened when it was less than 6 months old, and in the UK the legal onus is on Apple to show it is not defective. The unhelpful attitude comes across as though they don't want to look into it too hard. I've always had great support from Apple in the past. I just don't understand it.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Hi, I purchased a new Mac Studio M2 Ultra last September. After a VST editor crash I had a problem with MIDI not being transmitted normally so went to reinstall Ventura but got a message the files were corrupted. I downloaded Ventura from the App Store and it installed normally.
I installed Logic and the audio driver for my RME interface. Apart from that it was a clean install.

I left the Mac in sleep mode with no software load and later came back into the room and the Mac had woken itself, the fans were going crazy and it was extremely hot. I'd never heard the fans before and it's usually cool to the touch. There was a notification that the Mac was closing itself down to prevent damage from overheating. I later rebooted it and there was an error log file on screen.

I contacted Apple via chat and submitted the log files but haven't had any explanation nor reassurance there isn't a problem. I bought the Mac with AppleCare+. TBH Apple have been uncharacteristically unhelpful and I still haven't had a resolution after a month. Any advice would be appreciated.
Can you make a photo of your Mac Studio on his location? Perhaps something disturbs the cooling.

Moondog17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2024
Can you make a photo of your Mac Studio on his location? Perhaps something disturbs the cooling.
It’s not surrounded by stuff or by a heat source. It’s been in the same place on my desk since September.

Last edited:

Moondog17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2024
Files.

Attachments

• Archive 2.zip
    313.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Archive 3.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 24
  • Archive 4.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 21
  • Archive 5.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 21
  • Archive 6.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 21
  • Archive.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 25

Moondog17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2024
You said one was present on screen when you returned to the Mac, right? I'm most curious about that one and not so much the surrounding context
I've uploaded the zipped fault log folder to Dropbox. Just awaiting mods approval. Appreciate you taking a look.

Moondog17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2024
Does your MIDI controller rely on a kext?
I was using a Virus TI2 as a controller, running through a Miditech Midiface 16x16. I have various hardware synths attached. I checked with Miditech and the unit doesn't run any firmware - so that is ruled out. The Miditech was receiving MIDI but the Mac wasn't routing it internally or externally. I tried using other synths so it wasn't the Virus. On reinstalling the O/S and Audio/MIDI setup it was working normally again with the same hardware setup.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Did you ever clean the air intakes? I have used a vacuum cleaner for this last time.

Picture from jim0266
2023-03-20-11-48-50-jpg.2176755

Moondog17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2024
They’re completely clear unfortunately. A simple explanation would have been my preferred option😆.

Moondog17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2024
Hi, apologies to those of you waiting. The "fault log" folder that failed to upload is Archive folders x 6 in one folder. I uploaded them individually above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.