Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shelkonnery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
Hey, everyone!
I bought a Mac Studio straight from Apple in June and I can’t get Apple Care for it.

I keep getting this message:
“This device is not eligible for additional coverage.”

I’ve called support, but they couldn’t do anything about it or tell me why this is happening.

I’m in Brazil and I got it from the official Brazilian Apple website.
Never had this issue before.

Any ideas on how to solve this or why this is happening?
Thanks

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Well, it has been more than 60 days, so the window for activating a plan on-device has passed.

I think in some countries you can go to a retail Apple Store and still get it covered, but they will want to do a physical inspection to make sure you haven't broken the device. Call the store or apple retailer ahead of heading there to make sure.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Apple Care can only be added within 60 days of purchase. After 60 days, Apple Care can not be added.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Dude - it says it right there on the webpage… you have 60 days, not any longer, from time of purchase.

shelkonnery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
I had a feeling we had a 1 year window to do that down here according to our consumer's rights.

Funny thing the people from support couldn't tell me the 60-day window was up (or else I wouldn't have started this here).

Thanks for the replies though and sorry for the dumb thread.

Reactions: ColdCase

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple Care can only be added within 60 days of purchase. After 60 days, Apple Care can not be added.

This is not necessarily true. I went to add my Mac Studio & Studio Display and was confused as to why I could not add it either, so I gave Apple Support a call. I missed the 60-day deadline by about a week. They said they can add it for those who miss the deadline by a reasonable amount of time.

So they can activate it after 60 days - In my case they let me sign up for it over the phone and at some point ran a remote diagnostic on my system - I'm still wondering about this - but I recalled it mentioned during the phone call. My Mac never disclosed they ran anything, but within 24-48 hours AppleCare was activated.

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
I had a feeling we had a 1 year window to do that down here according to our consumer's rights.

Funny thing the people from support couldn't tell me the 60-day window was up (or else I wouldn't have started this here).

Thanks for the replies though and sorry for the dumb thread.
It’s not a dumb thread. A lot of companies let you add a warranty within the first year of ownership. I would get a hold of Apple and see if you can get Apple Care. I’ve never had experience with this, but others are saying you can let them run a diagnostic to see if it’s okay first, which makes sense. It can’t hurt anything to contact them and try.

powerslave65

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Sherman Oaks CA
Wrong! You have one year to get Apple Care, you just have to bring it in store so they can inspect the condition of your device. If it passes you get Apple Care.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
It used to be a year, I remember when I bought my first MacBook, I added Applecare when it was eleven months old but that changed ages ago.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
It used to be a year, I remember when I bought my first MacBook, I added Applecare when it was eleven months old but that changed ages ago.

I suspect that changed when AppleCare started covering accidental damage - which, AFAIK, is not covered by the original warranty. If it just covered product failure (defects) it won't matter when you bought it as long as the original warranty was in effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.