Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
The question is not whether those two chips arrive in a Mac Studio (it would be a major surprise if they didn't), but whether something even higher-end (justifying the Mac Pro case, because the Studio can't cool it).

Apple DOES seem to have some way of linking more than two chips (whether it is as fast as UltraFusion is a question) - they were fooling with it in Apple Car prototypes until that got cancelled. They were talking about a "quad-ultra" (or 8x Max) in the car. Of course it is possible that the (in)ability to go beyond Ultra is what cancelled the car AND made the Mac Pro disappointing. Maybe they had an idea, and it didn't work? Or the performance compromises were too great? Or the yields were too low?

The other thing to consider is what needs quad-M3 Max or greater performance. As a photographer, I'm absolutely shocked by how good the M3 Max is, both in performance and efficiency. I'm using 100 MP raw image files (the largest files readily available - there is ONE camera used in some very high end fashion and advertising applications that shoots 150 MP files, but it's $50,000). If the M3 Max handles the largest possible still photo files in large numbers with speed and aplomb (and will almost certainly handle the next generation of sensors, which should go up to ~160MP in semi-reasonable cameras), still photography is no longer a reason for a "beyond-Max" machine. There were certainly advantages to an M1 or M2 Ultra over a Max, but those seem to have disappeared for still photography in the M3 generation. Of course we haven't seen an M3 Ultra, but the M3 Max is real-timing even complex edits on very large files.

Video? I'm no professional, but I don't THINK it'll make much difference at 4K, with the possible exception of some super-complex effects. 8K - sure, but 8K distribution simply doesn't exist. Even IMAX projection is enhanced 4K, and, while 8K TVs for the home exist (8K home projectors don't), the only ways to get 8K content into them are to use a high-end computer as a streamer or to load still images from a USB memory key. It would take a HECK of a memory key to play 8K video, even if you had the files in the first place. No cable or satellite box can handle 8K, no Internet streamer short of a full-on computer can, either, and even if you DID use a computer, almost no 8K content exists for download or streaming at any price.

AI? Sure, but training big LLMs seems to take a supercomputer? 3D, especially 3D animation? Possibly, but how often are people doing that on the desktop? Isn't high-end 3D rendering generally done on render farms - your desktop needs to be powerful enough to do the interactive parts, but the big renders get pushed off to the server room?

It seems like there is a narrowing window between "an M3 Max is plenty fast" and " that's going to be pushed to the server room"?

treehuggerpro

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2021
Still hopeful :) . . .

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20230299007A1

This MCM patent has been posted in other threads a couple times.

If an Ultra based on the current Max is all we get, I don’t disagree it’ll be an excellent / powerful Mac Studio chip, but . . . at best, without GPU expansion, it will approximate a single RTX4080 for GPU rendering (Redshift is my reference), which really doesn’t seem a satisfactory end point for Apple’s M family of chips.

If there’s a dedicated MCM die in the making, I hope it gets bumped up a tad from the laptop Max for their desktop / workstation machines. A twenty percent boost over the Max’s GPU, or 8 more GPU cores, would see an un-binned Ultra pull up beside a RTX4090.

That’s got to be an attractive metric for Apple to aim at in regaining 3d markets. An Extreme would, potentially, line up with configs using 2x4090s. Generational GPU equivalence in the M3 Ultra, and equivalence going forward, would do a lot to restore faith in Apple’s top tier machines as 3d workstations.

Even better, if Apple could crunch the numbers on Boil’s (Extreme Dream) ;^p Mac Pro Cube to be at, or near, double the price of the Studio Ultras, it would be an absolute killer category.

Last edited:

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
If you have been considering a Mac Studio and are unsure about what or when to buy, the latest news (4-13) is that we won't see a newer Mac Studio until 2025, maybe with the M4 chip. Exactly when in 2025 is still a big unknown.

• Wow
Reactions: BlackMan304

Need_Advice

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
If you have been considering a Mac Studio and are unsure about what or when to buy, the latest news (4-13) is that we won't see a newer Mac Studio until 2025, maybe with the M4 chip. Exactly when in 2025 is still a big unknown.
Source? I‘ve read the whole M4 news thread and I don‘t see anything like this being mentioned. Only speculations. But I‘d be glad if this was the case so I could go ahead and get the M2 Max now.

Reactions: BlackMan304

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
Source? I‘ve read the whole M4 news thread and I don‘t see anything like this being mentioned. Only speculations. But I‘d be glad if this was the case so I could go ahead and get the M2 Max now.
Post #431

Need_Advice

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
I see. Since I mentioned that I have read the whole thread already I was assuming you would share some more specific details. Nowhere does it say that the M3 Studios will be skipped. That's why I was asking for a source of your statement.

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
I see. Since I mentioned that I have read the whole thread already I was assuming you would share some more specific details. Nowhere does it say that the M3 Studios will be skipped. That's why I was asking for a source of your statement.

You're right, it doesn't explicitly say the M3 Ultra for the Studio will be skipped.
But it's omission in that rumor and another one I can't find at the moment is not a good indication that there will be one. We might know in a couple of months.

datagov63

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2023
Apple is having a hard year. Sales are down. The Stock is down. The EU and US are suing apple for anti-trust violations. tension with China is hurting business. And Apple was caught without a major AI strategy.

The M4 "leak" seems incredibly convenient for a company that tortures staff for any leaks.

brsilb

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2018
Update to M3 chips would probably be an easy production change as the MacBooks already have them. I'm predicting the M3 at WWDC24 and M4 at WWDC25, which would allow the schedule for "annual" updates. That would also allow a year from the M2 update. Agree that Apple is having a tough year and not doing a Mac update in June would be unlikely. iPads are coming in May.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple is having a hard year. Sales are down. The Stock is down. The EU and US are suing apple for anti-trust violations. tension with China is hurting business. And Apple was caught without a major AI strategy.

The M4 "leak" seems incredibly convenient for a company that tortures staff for any leaks.
Apple stock is down? Its at 176.55USD +3.61(2.09%) April 12, 2024. Seems like anything you mentioning has not affected their stock that much. :D

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
The latest (4/14/24) schedule from Mark Gurman:

For the first time, Apple will move all of its Macs to a new chip generation. Remember: The Mac Pro skipped the M1, the iMac skipped the M2, and it’s all but assured that at least some of Apple’s high-end desktops will bypass the M3. So this kind of end-to-end overhaul is new.

Here are the Mac models Apple is working on and when it expects to introduce them (as always, release plans could shift):
  1. A low-end 14-inch MacBook Pro with the M4, coming around the end of 2024.
  2. A 24-inch iMac with the M4, also expected around the end of the year.
  3. New 14-inch and 16-inch high-end MacBook Pros with M4 Pro/Max chips, due between the end of 2024 and early 2025.
  4. A Mac mini in both M4 and M4 Pro configurations, coming between the end of 2024 and early 2025.
  5. New 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Airs, slated for around spring 2025.
  6. A Mac Studio with a high-end M4 chip, coming around the middle of 2025.
  7. A Mac Pro with an M4 Ultra chip, due in the second half of 2025.

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
The latest (4/14/24) schedule from Mark Gurman:

For the first time, Apple will move all of its Macs to a new chip generation. Remember: The Mac Pro skipped the M1, the iMac skipped the M2, and it’s all but assured that at least some of Apple’s high-end desktops will bypass the M3. So this kind of end-to-end overhaul is new.

Here are the Mac models Apple is working on and when it expects to introduce them (as always, release plans could shift):
  3. New 14-inch and 16-inch high-end MacBook Pros with M4 Pro/Max chips, due between the end of 2024 and early 2025.
  4. A Mac mini in both M4 and M4 Pro configurations, coming between the end of 2024 and early 2025.
  5. New 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Airs, slated for around spring 2025.
  6. A Mac Studio with a high-end M4 chip, coming around the middle of 2025.
  7. A Mac Pro with an M4 Ultra chip, due in the second half of 2025.

That’s interesting about the skipped M generations for different models.
Updated MPs and Studios 16-18 months from now is too late.
There’ll be few left to buy them, imo.

Last edited:

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
From a sales perspective, “end of the year” is no later than November but it time for the holiday shopping season.

datagov63

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2023
Apple stock is down? Its at 176.55USD +3.61(2.09%) April 12, 2024. Seems like anything you mentioning has not affected their stock that much. :D
"Apple iPhone shipments plunged nearly 10% globally in the first quarter of 2024, pressured by double-digit growth in shipments by Chinese challengers Xiaomi and Transsion, a report from International Data Corporationshowed.

Apple shipped 50.1 million units In the first quarter, down 9.6% from the 55.4 million shipments in the same period a year earlier, according to the IDC report. Among the top five smartphone brands in the report, Apple recorded the sharpest decline year on year."

doc4x5

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
the great Pacific northwest
I am still running a 2020 tricked out iMac (4TB SSD, 64GB RAM, i9). I bought it because I had a "trashcan" which i disliked and decided I could not wait for Apple Silicon. I do reasonably high end still photography and would love to get a Mac Studio M2 Max with a 4TB SSD/64GB RAM. I suspect it would meet my needs for quite a while. It's now late April. I'd hate to get it and then in June, see an M3 Studio. All the speculation about the Studio "skipping" the M3 and going straight to M4, but not until 2025 concerns me. I realize anyone who really knows cannot say. I'll probably wait for WWDC and if there's no M3 Studio go ahead with the M2 Max. Comments on this approach would be welcome.

Reactions: Harry Haller

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I am still running a 2020 tricked out iMac (4TB SSD, 64GB RAM, i9). I bought it because I had a "trashcan" which i disliked and decided I could not wait for Apple Silicon. I do reasonably high end still photography and would love to get a Mac Studio M2 Max with a 4TB SSD/64GB RAM. I suspect it would meet my needs for quite a while. It's now late April. I'd hate to get it and then in June, see an M3 Studio. All the speculation about the Studio "skipping" the M3 and going straight to M4, but not until 2025 concerns me. I realize anyone who really knows cannot say. I'll probably wait for WWDC and if there's no M3 Studio go ahead with the M2 Max. Comments on this approach would be welcome.

I’d do that. I purchased an M2 Max Studio in February, which is a bit later into the cycle than I would have liked, but I needed the computer and the Studio’s upgrade cycle is difficult to predict at this point, so didn’t want to chance waiting for WWDC just to be disappointed. However being so close to WWDC now, I would just wait and see.

Reactions: loby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.