Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwmreg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
I need some help.

If you have a Mac Studio and you are using Apple's first version of the white and silver extended keyboard with Touch ID and a former version of the white and silver track pad. I'd like to know if you are experiencing the problem below. I do not have the latest new silver and black versions of these peripherals so I could not try them.

Do you notice a notable lag after restarting or powering up your Mac Studio that delays the computers ability to recognize and use these peripherals? Basically it's nearly 20-30 seconds after restarting or powering up before my Mac Studio will allow me to log in with either of these peripherals when they are wireless. It's a really annoying problem. The login screen is fully visible and available yet I cannot interact with the Mac Studio using these older peripherals made by Apple.

Thanks.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
i'm not seeing that issue with the white versions of the numeric touch keyboard or magic trackpad 2

johnwhite1000

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2022
I need some help.

If you have a Mac Studio and you are using Apple's first version of the white and silver extended keyboard with Touch ID and a former version of the white and silver track pad. I'd like to know if you are experiencing the problem below. I do not have the latest new silver and black versions of these peripherals so I could not try them.

Do you notice a notable lag after restarting or powering up your Mac Studio that delays the computers ability to recognize and use these peripherals? Basically it's nearly 20-30 seconds after restarting or powering up before my Mac Studio will allow me to log in with either of these peripherals when they are wireless. It's a really annoying problem. The login screen is fully visible and available yet I cannot interact with the Mac Studio using these older peripherals made by Apple.

Thanks.
I am seeing a 15 -20 second lag for the new black Apple Touch ID keyboard and a little less for the new black mouse. Very irritating.

Reactions: jiminoz

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
There is always lag with any BT device after reboot, including the new black trackpad and new black keyboard. I measured 7 secs with the black trackpad. I don't have the black keyboard anymore because I returned it due the annoying lag after reboot. BTW, my Logi MX Master Keyboard does lag as well when connected via BT and that's why I'm using the Unifying receiver instead as there is ZERO lag when using the Unifying receiver.

Reactions: srl7741

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Yeah I think it's the same with Mac Mini on Monterey. it takes about 5-10 sec before recognizing the Apple Magic Keyboard and the mouse.

Fastest way it to plug it in using USB-C cable at the start up and you have no lag. Then unplug afterwards.
Yeah it's a hassle.

But since it takes a time to get the bluetooth going after restart, I just wait a little before typing.

Jrshelby

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I am seeing a 15 -20 second lag for the new black Apple Touch ID keyboard and a little less for the new black mouse. Very irritating.
I had seen that as well and mentioned to Apple support and they were kinda dismissive about it. Ive since returned my second Studio for the high pitched noise on both of my units. I picked up a 16" MBP that has have absolutely no noise or bluetooth problems.

kinghuang

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2006
Yes, I have the same lag with my Mac Studio and a new Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Magic Mouse. Very irritating and noticeable, especially since the iMac they're replacing doesn't have the same delay.

Reactions: Jrshelby

adhir

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
Same here. I haven't tested this, but my theory is that this would stop if you turn off Filevault. But a few seconds after a reboot you do maybe once a week is easy to live with, so I've chosen to do that.

Jrshelby

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Same here. I haven't tested this, but my theory is that this would stop if you turn off Filevault. But a few seconds after a reboot you do maybe once a week is easy to live with, so I've chosen to do that.
I turned off both FileVault and spotlight on my first unit to no avai.

Last edited:

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
i'm guessing that i'm not noticing because i don't attempt to log in until my second monitor's (dell 3008WP) backlight wakes up. that's a solid thirty seconds after the apple studio display is showing the login screen.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I think it's MacOS launching various components before launching/activating bluetooth recognition that causes delay. If MacOS were to launch bluetooth first, there won't be any delay.

It is what it is. Unless Apple changes the order of things starting up during boot, nothing can be done. IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jrshelby and Fravin

Giuseppe68

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2022
Good morning,
I too have the same problem with the Apple Touch keyboard taking 30 seconds to boot up before connecting to the updated Mac Studio in Ventura.
Does anyone know how to fix it if it's possible?
Thank you.
Giuseppe

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
Good morning,
I too have the same problem with the Apple Touch keyboard taking 30 seconds to boot up before connecting to the updated Mac Studio in Ventura.
Does anyone know how to fix it if it's possible?
Thank you.
Giuseppe

attach the touch keyboard using a lightning to usb-c cable

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I'm not really seeing this issue as I only reboot my Studio when there is an OS update, and by the time the login screen pops up, I can enter my password, never experienced a delay. and yes, BT keyboard and trackpad.

Giuseppe68

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2022
I'm not really seeing this issue as I only reboot my Studio when there is an OS update, and by the time the login screen pops up, I can enter my password, never experienced a delay. and yes, BT keyboard and trackpad.
I, and not only me from what I read on the net, have a problem which I believe is related to the Bluetooth of the Mac Studio.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I suppose I could reboot and pay attention to it ...
maybe the problem is with the keyboard/trackpad in that it needs to wake up? maybe turning it off/on?

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
After the last OS update my TouchID stopped working completely. Had to completely remove the keyboard from the Studio. Went to info and hit Forget This Device. Reinstalled it just like a new Keyboard and it has worked fine since. Had to double click the power button on the back of the Studio but it stated to do that. Don't remember doing that part before but it's been a while.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
After the last OS update my TouchID stopped working completely. Had to completely remove the keyboard from the Studio. Went to info and hit Forget This Device. Reinstalled it just like a new Keyboard and it has worked fine since. Had to double click the power button on the back of the Studio but it stated to do that. Don't remember doing that part before but it's been a while.
I have tried this fix about 10 times and it keeps losing Touch ID. It is now also taking forever to connect on boot. I am ending up just doing the wire connect.

The Touch ID issue is maddening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.