Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: .Mac subscribers reach 180,000!

Originally posted by bellboy
According to Mac Central, .Mac has been a "phenomenal success", with subsriptions now reaching 180,000!

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0210/01.mac.php

thats less than 9% of original accounts. OK, I'll grant a lot of people had multiple accounts, so the percentage is probably a good bit higher, but I don't know that its a phenomenal sucess. But good for apple if its a steady revenue stream. We'll just have to see how many renew when it costs 100 bucks. I'm really hoping apple makes it a lot more compelling, lowers the price, and/or doesn't tie too much of what they do to having a .mac account.

bellboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2002
Toronto
hmmm... seems fine to me.

If anything, it seems to be getting better and better as the days press on. I recall that right after the announcement of .Mac, everything on that site was brutal... but it's definitely a lot better now. Regardless... I think the idea is sound, but I admit that there is a lot of work ahead of them - speed being one of them.

PrettyMan

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Oyeregui, Spain
I'm not.

I'm not an .mac suscriber because of my own decission. I don't want to start again the long, long discussion about .mac.

Congratulations for every .mac suscriber (I'm waiting for a bit of their 99$ suscription fee to arrive with the next apple profits to my bank account).

Thanks to all.

Ciao.:) :)

zed

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Re: Re: .Mac subscribers reach 180,000!

Originally posted by strider42

thats less than 9% of original accounts. OK, I'll grant a lot of people had multiple accounts, so the percentage is probably a good bit higher, but I don't know that its a phenomenal sucess.

I think that the 2 million (or however many) original users of iTools probably just signed up when they got thier new mac, and then never touched the service again. I know my dad did that. What we might be seeing here are the number of people who actually used the service rather than just having an account.

Indigo_iBook

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2002
According to Apple, there were 2.2 million iTools users. Lot's of them have (had) multiple accounts (two or more). Apparently now 180.000 have switched to .Mac. Which isn't a bad score at all.

I don't think .Mac is that slow (Yes, I'm a proud .Mac-member).
Actually, since the day I started running Jaguar (MacOS 10.2) it really got faster. My iDisk is on my desktop in seconds. For the record: I'm in Europe, not the US. (under MacOS 9 it was really slow, here with us in Europe, even with cable internet) Anyone else have the same experience?

Cheers...

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
Originally posted by Indigo_iBook
I don't think .Mac is that slow (Yes, I'm a proud .Mac-member).
Actually, since the day I started running Jaguar (MacOS 10.2) it really got faster. My iDisk is on my desktop is seconds. For the record: I'm in Europe, not the US. Anyone else have the same experience?

Cheers...

i'm in NJ and PA and .mac is working fine for me and my family. we'll most likely continue to pay for 2 subscriptions even when it becomes $99.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I love .mac, it is great. although i got mine free. don't know if i would have bought it if i didnt get it free. does anyone know if i can have my email from the mail.app forward all my email on my main account to my .mac email address so i can check my mail on the web. if i could do that .mac would really be worth it, or at least to me. please let me know if this is possible or if there are any other email clients that can do this, i also have entourage. if you are wondering how i got it free it is because learn and earn members get it free in case anyone was wondering.

iJon

bellboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2002
Toronto
webmail can check POP mail... if that's what you're asking.

Log into your webmail, and check the pref's. Just input your POP account info, and you're all set.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by iJon
I love .mac, it is great. although i got mine free. don't know if i would have bought it if i didnt get it free. does anyone know if i can have my email from the mail.app forward all my email on my main account to my .mac email address so i can check my mail on the web. if i could do that .mac would really be worth it, or at least to me. please let me know if this is possible or if there are any other email clients that can do this, i also have entourage. if you are wondering how i got it free it is because learn and earn members get it free in case anyone was wondering.

iJon

Just go to Preferences in Mail and set it so that it keeps the mail on the server, rather than download the mail. Then you can see all your mail from webmail...

irmongoose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.