Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
In an interesting request (joerndyck at mac.com) is requesting the following from a Satellite equiped user:

I'm from Germany and responsible for a mac-magazine. In europe there is no satellite broadcast for the special presentation. You could earn some money if you help us to offer an audio broadcast via Quicktime stream. If you don't want to do this, maybe one of your reader wants to earn the money.

We're trying to find someone who could hold a telephone, or a microfone or even a DV-Cam in front of a TV, so that the signal can be transferred to europe. We pay for everything. We would pay an additional fee of hundred dollars for the lucky person who helped us.

Contact Person: joerndyck at mac.com

sebimeyer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
How about using the stream that they will offer?
Every time they did something like this they also offered a stream. The original iPod release is a good example for this.
Do you honestly think Steve would not share his awesomeness with the world? Why rent the moscone center (or a room there) and not show it to people?

Feel free to contact me for information where to send the $100, though. :D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by sebimeyer
How about using the stream that they will offer?
Every time they did something like this they also offered a stream. The original iPod release is a good example for this.

actually - I don't think the original iPod had a live stream. They posted a qt after the fact.

arn

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Just my .02 cents and I know I'm gonna stir up a who mess of angry comments from folks not located in the US but.....

Things to think about...

1 - By all accounts the Monday sat-cast / event seems to be 'big'.
2 - When Apple has done 'big' events (in the past) Europe (western europe anyway) sats were put to use.
3 - Content owners (movies, books, music, smaller software developers, etc) often have different deals (based on the country) and often specific contracts with local partners/distributers in other countries.

Add it all together and it sounds like the event that Apple has on Monday may not be open to people located in places other than the US and/or North America.

If this turns out to be true (and I hope I'm wrong) I'm afraid Apple will get the brunt of the anger. Will it be fair? No, but when has life been fair.

In short: If the content owners tell Apple they can only sell in say North America Apple can't help it and if that's the case then it wouldn't make any sense to sat-cast an event to Europe when they can't access it.

Hey maybe I'm all wrong here... does anyone know if Liquid and the other music services have any restrictions? That might be a good starting point.

I did find this via google news groups that shows just how messed up content distribution is:

"Right, whilst we at OD2 did encode the entire "Up" album we only have the rights to sell it for digital download in Europe. Liquid Audio handled all the sales in North America, which is where you purchased it. We both use slightly differently constructed systems for delivering the license that allows you to play the music."

Another one:

"We are restricted from even downloading the Liquid Audio samples from the site. Check out this lovely message: "The following song could not be added to your cart due to territory and licensing restrictions " "

Finally found this on Liquid Audio:

Q: What does the message:"Territory Restriction" mean?
A: The song you were trying to download has a restriction to only allow downloading in certain countries. Territory restriction is a way for the music label/publisher or artist to control which countries their content is distributed in. Liquid Audio has no control over their decisions, nor can we override this restriction. In a future release of our Liquid Store you will be able to tell which songs are restricted, and to what countries. A large portion of the content in the Liquid Store is unrestricted.

So who knows... either way don't everyone get all upset (at Apple) if insert-music-title-here isn't available to everyone...

Dave

froggy78

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2003
I agree with DaveGee and I think that it´ll be that way.
I´m from Europe and tried to access several music download services like pressplay in the past and everytime it said "Not available outside the US".

By the way, there are several services offered by Apple only available in the US/Canada. The option to order a book out of iPhoto. Only available in the US.

Even .mac only has basic support for Europe.

I love Apple but everytime there´s a keynote I feel like "Will it be available over here?"

I hope they signed contracts for a wordwide availability of the service, but if I look at the past, I think on Monday night , for me as a european mac user, the perfect system for legal music downloads will still be far away.

But who knows. Maybe they´ll make it a world-wide test-drive for such a service...

d.f

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
Good Point!!

Originally posted by DaveGee
Just my .02 cents and I know I'm gonna stir up a who mess of angry comments from folks not located in the US but.....

Things to think about...

1 - By all accounts the Monday sat-cast / event seems to be 'big'.
2 - When Apple has done 'big' events (in the past) Europe (western europe anyway) sats were put to use.
3 - Content owners (movies, books, music, smaller software developers, etc) often have different deals (based on the country) and often specific contracts with local partners/distributers in other countries.

Add it all together and it sounds like the event that Apple has on Monday may not be open to people located in places other than the US and/or North America.

I hadn't thought about this. but i think you're on to something. I can think of one good reason - PRICE. It looks like it's going to be 60/99cents per track (according to the rumours). that wouldn't work in the UK - not because of the currency, i mean the equivalent (roughly 40 - 66 pence). the record companies would baulk at this idea. the UK and most of Europe has been a very good cash cow for most business, especially the record industry as we pay WAY more than the states fot the same product. Record companies use the same promo materials and product here so in effect they're paid the costly overheads of an album / singe and the revenue from UK / Europe is HUGE profit for them.

in short, unfortuantely, i think you're going to be proved right. If Apple offered the US 99cents (66pence) downloads and the UK £1.50 (just over $2) for EXACLTY THE SAME TRACK, that would be a PR nightmare for Apple so i guess they're better of not doing it at all, for now.

i hope i am wrong:rolleyes:

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Re: Good Point!!

Originally posted by d.f
in short, unfortuantely, i think you're going to be proved right. If Apple offered the US 99cents (66pence) downloads and the UK £1.50 (just over $2) for EXACLTY THE SAME TRACK, that would be a PR nightmare for Apple so i guess they're better of not doing it at all, for now.

i hope i am wrong:rolleyes:

Well by my read it's not really a money thing in as much as a contract thing. The studios seem to have made previous deals with 'local distributors' in specific regions (where no doubt they made money doing it at the time) but now are prevented from allowing online services (not just Apple) from selling into markets where those contracts are in effect.

The movie industry has the same 'deals' just look at the market, some titles available in europe and or japan before the US (and vice versa).

If you ask me it's a mess...

Dave

eribula

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2003
Re: Good Point!!

I don't know how expensive it is to live in Britain. But the costs of a album with 14 tracks are about 15 Euros here in Germany. So 99 cents for one song (EUR and $) would be moderately priced.

--> Support Jörn Dyck and Mac-TV!

bryng

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2003
I would be surprised to see anything offered outside the US - try and sign up for one-click outside US/Canada and you will see what I mean!

All Apple has really convinced the music companies to do is to get their feet wet with online distribution. Apple has obviously come up with a great system, but a small customer-base is likely to be quite appealing to the music companies in the first instance as well.

If it goes off like a firecracker, there are plenty of incentives for Apple to expand the service - in some territories such as Japan, for example, where Apple is quite big and uptake of new technology is good. So at least that encourages them to look at the issue.

I for one would still be pretty stoked with iTunes 4 and AAC audio support for my iPod...though that will only tide me over for a very short while!

(maybe a week...?) ;)

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
We dropped by an Apple Store on the way home tonight. It was just at closing time. They had a sign up inviting people to come in to watch the announcement at 10:00AM on Monday. I asked an employee and they said they thought there would be a webcast but they weren't sure.

Just after closing we saw them take down one of the large posters. I assume they are getting ready to put up new posters tomorrow.

There was also a sign inviting people to come to the store for an event on May 2 at 6:00PM.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Originally posted by DaveGee

I hadn't even thought of this, but yes that would sound about right for Apple. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we can't use the service in the UK.

It would be a shame though, as I for one would definitely pay to d/l music to iTunes. Otherwise I'll just carry on using limewire to try music and buying CDs from CD-WOW if I really like it.

Who loses out in this case? Well, me a bit, I guess, but Apple and the music companies will too.

Lets hope for a Worldwide service to be announced in 4 hours!

Dobbin

PS. Its the same for iPhoto books and prints. I have money burning a hole in my pocket waiting for these services to be offered in the UK. In the meantime I will spend my money elsewhere but I would really love some of those books......

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
A big thanks

Well - despite the fact that this forum didn't stay on topic - thanks to web-tv.de for streaming the news for us!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.