Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peachies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2021
Manila, PHL
Two questions for you guys (and gals)...

1) I noticed (at least with Monterey) that the user login photo, which comes up when you first turn on the computer is a lot larger in size than previous Mac OS's. I find it unsightly, to be honest. Is there a way to turn off the photo and rather have the user's name instead of the photo or if not, is there a hack to change the size of the photo?

2) Since when did changing your user login photo also change your Apple iCloud user photo, and Address Book photo? That's what I'm experiencing.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You can change it System Preferences.

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 5.41.50 PM.png

Peachies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2021
Manila, PHL
I tried it, and then restarted, but was still greeted by the user login photo and passcode bar under it.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
1) More ugly than ever, and I find the greenish after-image annoying. The answer to changing is 'no'. This is because the picture is located inside the read-only (cryptographically sealed system) boot volume. I say 'no', but if your system disk is unencrypted (bad idea), it is possible (with difficulty) to mount the disk read/write, change picture, do a bit of magic and reboot without the protection of the sealed system volume. And, repeat this after every macOS update however minor.

Edit: I may have misunderstood. Were you referring to the picture in the round circle or the background picture? I answered the background picture.

The picture in the circle, I have not been able to remove.

2) I can't put a date on it, but maybe macOS12 and iOS15 (or was it the previous year?). The only way to avoid it is to disable iCloud. Seems to be a step along the way of changing all user logins to iCloud logins (as on iOS). Conceptually you have one identity for all your Apple activity with all attributes (including your looks) shared amongst your devices.

Last edited:

Peachies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2021
Manila, PHL
Hey Gilby101...

#1 Sounds like way more work than it's worth. I had fingers crossed it could be in the same headache level as adding space to the dock or changing the size of the launchpad icons. Oh well.

#2 is an oh well, too.

I tried following Chabig's advice, but whether I restart, or shut down and turn on, I still get the photo/password on start-up, rather than name/password.

Peachies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2021
Manila, PHL
I can't explain that. The setting sticks for me.
Perhaps I should clarify and see if it's the same for you...

If I follow your setting suggestion, it does work if I simply log out, and then yes, no photo, and a user name/password.

I'm referring to restarting or turning the computer off/on, at which point that first main screen does not have the user name/password, but instead the photo/password.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
When I change the setting to list of usernames the setting sticks whether I log out or restart–no photos. I just tested it.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Yes. I’ve been thinking about why there might be a difference but I’m stumped.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
2) I can't put a date on it, but maybe macOS12 and iOS15 (or was it the previous year?). The only way to avoid it is to disable iCloud. Seems to be a step along the way of changing all user logins to iCloud logins (as on iOS). Conceptually you have one identity for all your Apple activity with all attributes (including your looks) shared amongst your devices.

Yeah pretty sure that was a Monterey thing. First thing I noticed after installing was my user icon (the sad Mac I use here) was gone and Ween's Boognish which I use on my iCloud account was looking at me in the login screen.

Reactions: gilby101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.