Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I did a search and could not find an answer...

My co-worker's kids want to game online with their DSes and Wii. He was going to pick up the Nintendo USB WiFi Adapter but he mentioned it will only work on PCs with XP.

My question is, is there a way to make his MacBook talk to Nintendo WiFi? Or in general, how would he go about accomplishing this? Excuse my ignorance if this is a simple question, as I know nothing about Nintendo's current offerings, how they network, etc. ;) :cool:

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
You can use Internet Sharing to basically use the MacBook as a router/bridge (whatever technical term you want to use), but the MacBook has to be connected to the Internet via Ethernet or other means that doesn't involve AirPort.

It might be more convenient to get a WiFi router. They go on sale for like $20 these days with rebates and such.

The best instructions I could find about Internet Sharing was from here:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/11/11/panther_internet.html

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yea thanks for that! I've been trying to sort out my poor DS wifi signal by using my iMacs more powerful wireless card, bringing the internet down through an ethernet into my PowerBook which then broadcasts a new wireless network. That link will help loads :D

Avenger23

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Clovis, NM
I tried setting my MacBook Pro as a wireless bridge for my DS/Wii here at home and I couldn't ever get it to work right. I just wound up buying a Linksys WRT54G router to use with our broadband internet service and it works great with my MBP, Wii and DS along with my wifes MB and DS. Just thought I would throw that out there. Also, just for some added info I have the router set to channel 11, mixed mode (802.11B + 802.11G) and WEP encryption for those who need to know if they have connection issues with their DS/Wii. :)

Avenger23

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Clovis, NM
Thanks Avenger23, I appreciate the info! :)
Not a problem there on the info. Here's a couple of links to the Nintendo WiFi site and wireless settings. Also, if you do a search on the forums area on Nintendo for my username (same as here) you'll see a bunch of threads on WiFi and network help. Just thought I would throw that out there too, in case you need some help.

Nintendo WiFi Support

Compatible Routers

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I did a search and could not find an answer...

My co-worker's kids want to game online with their DSes and Wii. He was going to pick up the Nintendo USB WiFi Adapter but he mentioned it will only work on PCs with XP.

My question is, is there a way to make his MacBook talk to Nintendo WiFi? Or in general, how would he go about accomplishing this? Excuse my ignorance if this is a simple question, as I know nothing about Nintendo's current offerings, how they network, etc. ;) :cool:

Nintendo uses standard 802.11b. There's a few wireless routers that are incompatible, but the majority work. And they don't support WPA, only WEP.

All of Apple's Airport stations work. You can get wireless routers for as cheap as $40 these days. And if the MacBook is connected to a wired ethernet port, you can have it share your connection over WiFi.

So you have a MacBook in your house and have broadband internet but don't have WiFi? That's actually pretty rare these days.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I also had a h*ll of a time getting the Wii on internet. But make sure that your airport/WiFi router is distibuting the IP addresses (not a router behind it!!) and put the MAC address of the Wii in your airport/WiFi router. After I had done this, I had no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.