Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m_gear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I've had this problem for quite some time, and I'm beginning to thing it's a problem of design and not a bug of any sort.

Back when I was a PC user, I had Win98/98se, ME, 2K, and XPpro. All of these configurations used RASPPPoE to connect to the internet. (Here in Canada, Cable internet-only is prohibitively expensive, so DSL is how it goes... and every DSL provider is obsessed with stupid PPPoE for some strange reason.) Now, when I was connected to the internet thru RASPPPoE, and even when I wasn't, I could always browse the shares and connect to other machines on the local LAN.

However, ever since my switch to Mac, I've not been able to do this anymore. Using the built-in PPPoE connection chops off the access to other ppl on the LAN, since it give you some sort of dynamically assigned IP, AND routes all traffic out the modem into the internet, even if I know the IP of someone else's computer on the LAN. But to not use PPPoE, and instead assign myself a static IP gives me access to other servers, but I have no internet.

Isn't there a happly medium somewhere? Why could I do this in Windows and not on OS X? (How is it that Win98-Xp could handle having two IPs, yet OS X can't?) Is it sloppy TCP/IP implementation that lets this thru, or is there some trick of networking that I'm missing here?

(I have discovered that setting up an AirPort base station properly will reproduce the effect, being able to access the internet and LAN simultaneously. The problem here is that my base station died a horrible death about 3 months ago, and I lack the money to replace it, so that's a no-go.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.