Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweetnamese

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2019
I'm having the same exact issue after updating a security patch on my MacBook pro.

I would get this screen first before I tried the options below [attached image]

I have the correct password but it won't let me in. Keeps saying it can't get into the 'encrypted hdd' ???.

I've tried opt + ctrl + r for latest update, no Bueno.

Then tried shift + opt + ctrl + r for the version my old Mac came with, Mountain Lion (don't judge) lol.

Attached image, now it doesn't even have an existing drive and won't let me even install Mountain Lion!!

Restarted computer since iwasuable to update.. Downgrade OS to MLion. I get this page again with encrypted hdd not accepted my correct pw. Now I'm stuck. Attached image.

Attachments

• 20210505_231724.jpg
    20210505_231724.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 532
  • 16202744115767693677310204831076.jpg
    16202744115767693677310204831076.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 20210506_002006.jpg
    20210506_002006.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

jedgar

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
Just wanted to post here. This happened to me and I've now resolved it.

M1 Macbook Pro Big Sur:
Push the power button and then quickly push and hold the power button again to enter recovery mode(seems weird but it works)
Select options
Top left, find the terminal
type: resetpassword
Say you don't remember any of your password
It will connect to iCloud and reset your FileVault password
login works again upon reboot

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Slartibart

Dhendy13

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2021
Just wanted to post here. This happened to me and I've now resolved it.

M1 Macbook Pro Big Sur:
Push the power button and then quickly push and hold the power button again to enter recovery mode(seems weird but it works)
Select options
Top left, find the terminal
type: resetpassowrd
Say you don't remember any of your password
It will connect to iCloud and reset your FileVault password
login works again upon reboot
THANK YOU... This Works!!!!!!!!!!!! My daughter just called me freaking out.... " Help...my logon password won't work on my brand new M1 MacBook Pro". Searched a few resources and found your post. Followed the directions exactly and she is back working in her machine. BTW...This is her new machine for graduating high school with "highest honors" and she is attending Univ of Michigan this fall! Go Blue!!! Thanks again Jedgar.

noordwijker

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2021
I've registered just to leave this here. Since today I had the same issue, but I found out that somehow the password does work in safe mode. I have the new MacBook Pro 16 inch.

What I've done to fix this:

1. Reset the RAM thingies - I am not sure if this step is 'mandatory'
2. Reboot in recovery mode, reinstall Mac OS (This does not overwrite your data) - I am not sure if this step is 'mandatory'
3. Reboot in safe mode, somehow logging in DOES work in safe mode
4. Create a new user account
5. Reboot in regular mode, login with the new user account
6. Reboot in safe mode, move files over
7. Delete the broken account

henrikfj

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2021
Same issue.
Would not accept the correct pwd.

Booting in recovery mode, asks for pwd on a know user - password was accepted.

Restarted (without doing any recovery or reinstall) logged in flawlessly.

Running Big Sur 11.2

Kateosinsaneos

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2021
Did anyone come up with a solution? My Mac wont accept my password and can’t connect to the Apple server even though it’s connecting to wifi. Is having a locked encryption key normal? I’m not too familiar with technology/mac’s.

Last edited:

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Did anyone come up with a solution? My Mac wont accept my password and can’t connect to the Apple server even though it’s connecting to wifi. Is having a locked encryption key normal? I’m not too familiar with technology/mac’s.
After trying various troubleshooting ideas I found on the web, I eventually called Apple support and they ultimately had me reinstall the OS. Best of luck.

catalin_c

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2021
hi all..just had this pb(i was cleaning my kb and somehow this lead to this pb) and actually was a keyboard issue...somehow it changed its type...so from the upper right corner i changed it to "ABC-extended"(probably this was my initial setting for the kb)...so i suggest you to try this trick

andreas1798

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2022
Hey guys, had the same issue last night on Mac pro 14 M1, have tried all the debugging methods in this thread + more, nothing worked BUT one thing … reinstalled a copy of the OS (Monterey) (you won’t lose your data), i left it overnight as it took 4.5h (not sure if because my internet speed but my laptop is quite new and has 90% free memory) and in the morning I logged in and it worked!!!!! ??

Funny thing is that when I first logged in it worked with a new password that I’ve changed while trying the basic reset password, but then after successfully logging in it asked for the keychain password which worked with the old password ?‍?.

Hope it helps ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.