Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've got an old Colour Classic with a SCSI HD. It's always worked, but when I turned it on yesterday, it gave me the disk with the flashing question mark. I booted off Sys 7.5 Disk Tools, ran Disk First Aid, which found and fixed about 10 problems, then rebooted and it was fine.

Today I turned it on, and it gave me the question mark again. So I booted off Disk Tools, ran Disk First Aid, and it doesn't see the HD. So I ran Apple HD SC Setup, which gives me the message "Unable to locate a suitable drive connected to the SCSI port".

I've turned the thing off and made sure the HD's plugged in properly, it is. Anyone have any suggestions?

Time for the tech stuff:
Colour Classic 68030, 8 MB RAM
Sys Z1-7.5
Apple HD SC Setup vB-7.3.2
Apple-supplied 80 MB SCSI HD

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Have you checked the battery lately? It sounds like it is not "remembering" settings.

Regards,
Gus

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Check all jumper settings on the drive
Check for a SCSI address conflict
Zap the PRAM
Reset the Motherboard
Reinstall the MacOS and HD Drivers
Rinse, Repeat

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Durandal7
Check all jumper settings on the drive
Check for a SCSI address conflict
Zap the PRAM
Reset the Motherboard
Reinstall the MacOS and HD Drivers
Rinse, Repeat

Had the drive out before and didn't see any jumpers. Besides, even if there are some, I haven't touched them since it was last working.

Shouldn't have any SCSI conflicts, because it was working fine yesterday and I haven't touched the SCSI config.

Zapped the PRAM, no difference.

Reset the motherboard? How do you do this?

Reinstall the Mac OS - can't do this as neither HD SC Setup, Disk First Aid, or the Finder will see the disk.

Originally posted by Gus
Have you checked the battery lately? It sounds like it is not "remembering" settings.

I'll have a look at this later, don't feel like taking it to pieces at the moment!

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Originally posted by Nermal
Had the drive out before and didn't see any jumpers. Besides, even if there are some, I haven't touched them since it was last working.

Shouldn't have any SCSI conflicts, because it was working fine yesterday and I haven't touched the SCSI config.

Zapped the PRAM, no difference.

Reset the motherboard? How do you do this?

Reinstall the Mac OS - can't do this as neither HD SC Setup, Disk First Aid, or the Finder will see the disk.

I'll have a look at this later, don't feel like taking it to pieces at the moment!

Not sure, but didn't the all the one-piece Macs (minus the TAM, G3 AIO, eMac, iMac, and laptops) have an externally accessible battery? Just pop off one compartment cover on the back, and there's the battery. It's that way on the 512k and SE/30 at least.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Not sure, but didn't the all the one-piece Macs (minus the TAM, G3 AIO, eMac, iMac, and laptops) have an externally accessible battery? Just pop off one compartment cover on the back, and there's the battery. It's that way on the 512k and SE/30 at least.

Yeah, you're right. I haven't had any luck testing the battery yet though. Anyway I've got a couple of ideas I'm gonna have a go at, I'll let you know how I get on.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
OK, I'm finally not busy anymore and can let you all know what happened.

I tried testing the battery but didn't have much luck getting at the tiny contacts. Just to see what would happen, I disconnected the battery completely and tried booting up - still doesn't see the HD.

I found an OS 7.6 Disk Tools boot disk, which I think is the latest that'll work on an 030 (unless there's a 7.6.1 DT), but that didn't make any difference.

I pulled in an old SCSI scanner out of the garage, plugged it in, turned it on, it made the usual power-on noises. Then I turned on the Mac, and the scanner was silent. Now I'm not certain, but I seem to recall that the scanner used to reset itself when you switched the Mac on. I'm beginning to think the problem might be with the SCSI controller :(

Anyone have any other ideas for what I should try?

Thanks

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Just bringing my old thread back to life here...

I plugged the HD into an LC III, and it has the same symptoms. So it looks like it's the HD. Anyway the LC III (which cost me $3) is replacing it, so I don't really care that the CC no longer works anymore.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
if all else fails go buy diskwarrior 3. it also comes with dw 2, which i believe supports 7.5.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.