Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Hey,

Just thought I would put it out there, starting my first "Macaqurium" should be a doozie (I hope anyways). I dont intend on finishing it up all at once could be a very long long process just trying to fit it in with my studys... basically its a term project ahah.

Any tips from previous Macaquarium engineers?

If not wish me luck.
Oh... by the way its an orginal Mac Plus :D

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
I built one out of an old Mac Plus you can see the photos here http://homepage.mac.com/siami/PhotoAlbum11.html . I put it up for sale on the forums last year https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/160946/ , but got nothing, It is still for sale if someone wants it. I had it sitting in my office all lit up for a while which was pretty cool, but the boss dropped by and took a dim view of it.

If you need some advice on building I am happy to help. The first bit of advice to you is: plan everything properly before you start to cut and dismantle.

Let us know how you are getting on at each stage :)

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Sly said:
I built one out of an old Mac Plus you can see the photos here http://homepage.mac.com/siami/PhotoAlbum11.html . I put it up for sale on the forums last year https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/160946/ , but got nothing, It is still for sale if someone wants it. I had it sitting in my office all lit up for a while which was pretty cool, but the boss dropped by and took a dim view of it.

If you need some advice on building I am happy to help. The first bit of advice to you is: plan everything properly before you start to cut and dismantle.

Let us know how you are getting on at each stage :)
Wow yours is gorgeous. I was going to cut it open last night but I went for a swim instead.. but I have a photo of the mac now(only by my crappy webcam so not high quality so heres the before pic :p)
macplus0xg.png

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
O and Im sure Ill think of somthing, but if theres an easy way to make the cut and put together the glass that you came up with give me a shout.

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
I'm sure you are aware the front separates from the back leaving all the components connected to the front molding. There are five screws holding it together, don't forget the screw under the battery flap. Don’t mess around with special separating devices or butchering the case with a knife, just give it a good shake, screen facing down over something soft, like a bed and the two half’s will separate. Be VERY careful when touching the High voltage parts, I used thick rubber gloves just to be sure. Also be careful with the tube when removed, it will make a proper mess if you break it!

Don’t cut anything until the case is empty and you have a game plan in mind.

Post again when you have got this far

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
Yep, the Apple mug & mousemat had to go too, but he hasn't found out that I've changed the system sounds on my PC to Apple system sounds. Amazingly he also missed the Powerbook 270C and Duo Dock under the desk which I switch to for the odd letter etc. just for the fun of it. ;)

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Sly said:
Yep, the Apple mug & mousemat had to go too, but he hasn't found out that I've changed the system sounds on my PC to Apple system sounds. Amazingly he also missed the Powerbook 270C and Duo Dock under the desk which I switch to for the odd letter etc. just for the fun of it. ;)
What a rebel ahahis your boss anti Mac? ahha.

Ok right now Im having troubles finding a hex Screw driver to fit under the handle and Im shaving one down to fit in... lot easier then it sounds

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Got er open after a long time fooling witha screwdriver ahaha
internalsmp7hg.png

screwmp6ax.png

openedmp6za.png

It took so long to shave down that screw driver

Next to cut the handle base out

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
Well done. Now for the handle cut. To make the cleanest job cut under the grab handle, I have left the screw brackets so I could reattach the front securely again. In practice this is almost impossible to do this as the screws keep dropping in the tank and the back of the tank stops you getting a screw driver in at the right angle. It is probably easier and better if you cut them off as well. The plastic is surprisingly thick and quite hard to cut. I used a Dremmel power tool with the flexible extension and the metal cutting bit. Mark the cut line well first, take it slow and cut inside the line so you have room for mistakes the excess can be taken off later. The photo here is after the initial cutting session, I then cleaned up the rough bits with a grinder bit then fine sandpaper.

There are some other bits and pieces of the case internally that will need cutting away, I would leave these for the time being until you have a tank made or al least mocked up in cardboard as some are actually quite useful, for instance the two large lugs that the tray connects with are necessary to locate and secure the tray. If you are going to go down the traditional route of holding the tank up with wooden blocks, these lugs will have to go as well as some other internals.

Attachments

• Handle cut.jpg
    Handle cut.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 102

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Sly said:
Well done. Now for the handle cut. To make the cleanest job cut under the grab handle, I have left the screw brackets so I could reattach the front securely again. In practice this is almost impossible to do this as the screws keep dropping in the tank and the back of the tank stops you getting a screw driver in at the right angle. It is probably easier and better if you cut them off as well. The plastic is surprisingly thick and quite hard to cut. I used a Dremmel power tool with the flexible extension and the metal cutting bit. Mark the cut line well first, take it slow and cut inside the line so you have room for mistakes the excess can be taken off later. The photo here is after the initial cutting session, I then cleaned up the rough bits with a grinder bit then fine sandpaper.

There are some other bits and pieces of the case internally that will need cutting away, I would leave these for the time being until you have a tank made or al least mocked up in cardboard as some are actually quite useful, for instance the two large lugs that the tray connects with are necessary to locate and secure the tray. If you are going to go down the traditional route of holding the tank up with wooden blocks, these lugs will have to go as well as some other internals.

Yeah the cut out is doen... Ill sand it down with sand paper later. Ill post pictures later as well. I didnt cut out the peice inbetween the to screwhole guides for now seemed kinda pointless (esentially its the part your fingers would be on when you picked it up, you did cut it out but I dont think it was necessary.) if that cut is necessary tell me.

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
Good Job :) I'm not sure which bit you mean when you talk about the bit between the screw hole guides, take a photo of it.

Next bit is the tank, you need to decide on what type of support you are going to use for it as the standard tank design uses flat wooden blocks, were as mine uses the original drive tray which sits at an angle and is not the full width of the casing. I can give you the dimensions for mine if you need them, the dimensions for the standard tank are widely available on the web.

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Sly said:
Good Job :) I'm not sure which bit you mean when you talk about the bit between the screw hole guides, take a photo of it.

Next bit is the tank, you need to decide on what type of support you are going to use for it as the standard tank design uses flat wooden blocks, were as mine uses the original drive tray which sits at an angle and is not the full width of the casing. I can give you the dimensions for mine if you need them, the dimensions for the standard tank are widely available on the web.

Which turns out better, I mean it would be cooler if I used the orginal tray however if it leaves a big gap then Ill go to the wood blocks. aswell you mentioned in a pm that you put your pump under the tray but moved cause of electruction reasons... is there enough room to make a case around it? I want everything to be internal (as much as apossible).

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
If you want an easy life go with the blocks as they can be easily modified and don’t require precision building of the tank. Using the tray means you have to get the tank built to exact measurements or it won't fit in. Using the tray doesn't leave any gaps in fact the tank fits in with about 1 mm to spare around the top, the screen is completely full of water with no air gaps visible.

My issue with the pump was that it runs on 240V (in the UK) and sits below a large tank of water which can easily be knocked. So I moved it out side the casing just to be safe. Sealing the bottom of the case will be very hard as the space you have to work with is minimal to say the least and you will want to move the tank in and out of the case. A waterproof pump might be the answer if you can find one.

Attachments

• DSCF0018.JPG
    DSCF0018.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 132

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Cool, Ill think about it send me dimensions through pm.

heres the cut (still needs to be sanded )

machole22aa.png

machole7bv.png

You can see the handle spot I was talking about in the second picture it doesnt look like you left it in, in yours but I dont see why not, its the same hight as the screw holes.

If its a problem let me know

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
cool! Looks good so far. I am excited to see the final finished product. What kinda fish are you going to put in it??:D

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
macEfan said:
cool! Looks good so far. I am excited to see the final finished product. What kinda fish are you going to put in it??:D
Not sure yet, I dont want a betta fish too many of those around. Somthing cool... not a feederfish or anything well see though.

Any suggestions

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Sly said:
If you want an easy life go with the blocks as they can be easily modified and don’t require precision building of the tank. Using the tray means you have to get the tank built to exact measurements or it won't fit in. Using the tray doesn't leave any gaps in fact the tank fits in with about 1 mm to spare around the top, the screen is completely full of water with no air gaps visible.

My issue with the pump was that it runs on 240V (in the UK) and sits below a large tank of water which can easily be knocked. So I moved it out side the casing just to be safe. Sealing the bottom of the case will be very hard as the space you have to work with is minimal to say the least and you will want to move the tank in and out of the case. A waterproof pump might be the answer if you can find one.
Did you cut off the front of the metal tray? looks like your did in your picture.

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
Yep, I cut one side of the front off. If you look at the tray carefully, you will see that it only takes two small cuts to do.

I did leave the handle bit on the same as you, I have cut slightly less away at the back as you don't need to cut it all away. Makes no difference at the end of the day though.

I have been looking for my original design drawings, but can't find them at the moment. I will measure the tank for you and send you the dimensions by PM as soon as I have two mins to do it.

Attachments

• IMGP0185.jpg
    IMGP0185.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 102

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Sly said:
Yep, I cut one side of the front off. If you look at the tray carefully, you will see that it only takes two small cuts to do.

I did leave the handle bit on the same as you, I have cut slightly less away at the back as you don't need to cut it all away. Makes no difference at the end of the day though.

I have been looking for my original design drawings, but can't find them at the moment. I will measure the tank for you and send you the dimensions by PM as soon as I have two mins to do it.
Sounds great, I was looking at the tray and I think Im going to go for it (more classy). I know where you talking about to cut.

Take your time, I still have to file down the case a bit.

Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.