Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhdave

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
This makes a lot of sense. I suspect we may see this transition far faster than we think. What if Apple were to announce an AMD powered Power Mac at MWSF? From a software standpoint it seems almost unthinkable, but if they've found some way to do it with a minimal impact..... hmmm....

dh

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I'm going to wait until October or January to see exactly what the hell is going on over there. There's just so many cinflicting reports, IBM to announce desktop PowerPC, but it doesn't support Altivec, Apple created Marklar, an x86 version of OSX, all so confusing.:(

awrootbeer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by edvniow

Yes, but they were the ones that first came up with the Powermac pic, if I'm not mistaken. :)

True, but it's because it seems like MB (I can never get the spelling right) just posts anything they sent. They seem to have gotten lucky on that one (if that's what you can call it :)

But it's still a fun rumor. Although I would personally prefer their last rumor over it. (Dual G4s)

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by awrootbeer

True, but it's because it seems like MB (I can never get the spelling right) just posts anything they sent. They seem to have gotten lucky on that one (if that's what you can call it :)

But it's still a fun rumor. Although I would personally prefer their last rumor over it. (Dual G4s)

Agreed. They're only shred of credibility comes from that pic, I don't think any of their other predictions have come true either. :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Still seems a little unreasonable, as to the timing of the switch.

But explaining that would actually bring economic reasoning into the debate.

Can't have that... ruins the fantasy.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
actually i believe it was macrumors that had the news of the latest g4 out first...BUT...the people who continue to give these forums a newfound bad name drove him off and flamed the hell out of him. wtg mr members.......

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ah, the rumors are causing a feeding frenzy again - I'm still waiting till October when IBM makes it statement concerning their Power4. There are just too many questions and no answers. The only thing that everyone agrees on is that the G4 needs to be replaced or drastically updated.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by sparkleytone
actually i believe it was macrumors that had the news of the latest g4 out first...BUT...the people who continue to give these forums a newfound bad name drove him off and flamed the hell out of him. wtg mr members.......

I think we had the PDF first, but they had the picture before we did. :)

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Googles translation of what I think you all are talking about:

I met many people yesterday, and I listened much.

although nothing still is official, it seems that APPLE is directed towards AMD to replace G4.
One spoke again me of Jaguar under X86.
In any event it seems that APPLE is directed towards a solution preventing any possibility of installing Mac OS X on a PC.

(I don't know French :eek:)

From that I get no new information, just more pondering. The last line gives me the impression that the writer does not believe that Apple is going to go toward the x86 platform for OSX.

Anyway, did not Steve say himself that there will be faster versions of the current models next year? and that the G4 still has alot of life? His comments certainly don't point towards x86 in Apple systems, at least not for along time to come.

I think we should let this subject die for awhile (like the Apple PDA rumors) and wait for more tangible proof and/or information concerning the x86/Marklar rumor.

How about someone get a screenshot of "about this mac" with Athlon instead of G4 in it? Or maybe something less easily photoshopped, like a motherboard with Socket A connections and an Apple logo next to it ;).

Lately my stomach has been making funny noises when ever 'marklar' related info is talked about... I guess I'll go to Costco and get some Pepto-Bismol so I can keep reading :D.

-- bert :cool:

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
To add more fuel to the fire...

I just saw an article on Cnet News that says the AMD Clawhammer will be released for manufacturers in the first quarter of 2003, about the same time as MWSF 2003.
Not that I'm taking this rumor too seriously, I'm just having fun with it.
:p

CLICK ME DAMMIT!

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
If Apple is moving to AMD:

Why are they going to such pains to AltiVec-ize everything?

And why did they discontinue Logic for x86?

I can't understand why they wouldn't opt for that Power4 variant (if the recent rumor is to believed, which I don't think it is). It seems like the perfect chip for Apple.

danman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2002
I you look at the first article on the page, you will see that in a reference to an interview with Apple France director J.R. Cazeneuve, he is quoted as saying Apple worked very well with Motorola on the G5.

Bet ya a million buck we get G5's early next year.

(no, I don't have a million bucks, but hey ho)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Re: If Apple is moving to AMD:

Originally posted by alex_ant
Why are they going to such pains to AltiVec-ize everything?

And why did they discontinue Logic for x86?

I can't understand why they wouldn't opt for that Power4 variant (if the recent rumor is to believed, which I don't think it is). It seems like the perfect chip for Apple.

definitely a good call.

it would be just plain stupid. looks like we are either stuck with moto or IBM is having alot of fun teasing us with their new proc.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Again this is stupid...

Look, Apple is focused on having an Alti-Vec processor, everything has been written for that, now people say the new IBM Power PC based on Power4 might not be Alti-Vec so therefore Apple will not use them. If Apple is so worried about having Alti-Vec, then why in the hell would they be now going to an x86 from AMD. If Apple goes AMD or Intel it would have to be an x86 processor. That is what they build and they are not going to build a small number of some special high tech processor just for Apple, sorry IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Okay lets say you guys are right and Apple says...yep an AMD Athlon for our PowerMacs in Jan...then what do you do with the "i" and "e" series. Do you continue on with them as a PPC with Alti-Vec and make the PowerMacs with an x86 AMD? HOLY MOLY what a confusing thing. We then have Macs that are not even compatible with each other, you then have to make different software for different computers. What about all the PPC Macs that are out there right now. How long do companies have to make different software for all different types of machines? If Apple goes to AMD it would not be a PowerPC, and for now changing chip arc. would make for lots of confusion.

There is still something called AIM and PowerPC and this is where the future Apple processors will come from. Intel and AMD are not going to plug huge amounts of money into designing an all new chip that is completely compatible with PPC considering Apples market share. If Apple goes x86 then they might as well stick Windows XP on their machines and go head to head with the rest of the PC mess.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Of course if Apple is exploring HyperTransport as a system bus, you'd expect some AMD people to be around the Apple campus.

But of course that's too simple an explanation.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
It would have been nice to put OS X on my fairly new 1.3 AMD, or even the 1.6 P4 at work (if nothing else than to save the TORTURE that was my Win98/2000 install from HELL, freakin' M$. Now I can Crash twice as fast!). But we know that won't be happening anytime soon.

Can't wait to get a new Mac to replace my old one (that I no longer have BTW) after I move. Maybe a nice Cool (pun intended) iBook (c'mon 1 GHz G3 + 32 MB vid card), or an eMac to play with untill I can afford a new Tower. Who knows what we'll have by then?

GigaHertz, shmigahertz. If I can run FCP off of a 320 GB hard drive in almost real-time with out the crashing, I'll be happy.

Another couple of months.

We'll see what happens.

Attachments

• wtc.jpg
    wtc.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 341
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.