Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Sure, just make sure you have fire-retardent pants...

:rolleyes:

30 minutes Battery life anyone??

I don't really know anything about the French site's track record. Have they even been accurate in the past?

xelterran

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
i thought the pmac image first came from this forum... from APPLEPIE59 or whatever his name is...

sickboy_osX

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2002
Pocatello, Idaho
I dont think it would be possible

But no one thought apple would make the new PowerMac look like it did, so i guess it could work.

Macworld Paris starts next week, and Steve0 is giving a keynote there, so it is possible, but I have been hearing rumors of the Dual Processor Ti since its First Revision..... so we will find out

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by sickboy_osX
I dont think it would be possible

But no one thought apple would make the new PowerMac look like it did, so i guess it could work.

Macworld Paris starts next week, and Steve0 is giving a keynote there, so it is possible, but I have been hearing rumors of the Dual Processor Ti since its First Revision..... so we will find out

It is possible.... they'd be issues... mainly with heat, and battery life...... both can be overcome though....... and if anyone could pull this off Apple could......

Personally I don't expect we'll see Dual PowerBooks next week........ but I don't mind being proven wrong..... :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The 7455 & 7445 are power sucking monsters that still use the .18 SOI process - and about 20-30 Watts of power each @ 1GHz.

It would be nice, but most likely not until the .13 or sub .10 stuff comes out. But the MHz increase this will allow also kill a lot of the power reduction from the smaller process.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
I can feel dual gig powerbook in the air..mmm
With radeon 9000,oh thats what I call machine!!
There's no doubt,dual gig powerbooks are in the air! I am usually wrong though :( :p

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
with apple shipping all dual powermacs now to compensate for the lower speeds, they almost HAVE to ships dual power books to 'compete' and to be able to show a comparable product.

My guess, thought not worth much, is dual 1ghz... always a bit lower than top line powermac, yet still an improvment over the single chip 800mhz currently out to make it still 'feel' faster in non multichip processes, i.e. running only one program like IE or something...

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
I can imagine them having a dual processor laptop that didn't use the second processor when it was running on battery power. That shouldn't be too hard to develop, should it? With one processor, my fan almost never comes on. Only when I have been playing WC3 for a while.

It is probably feasible, but I am not sure about likely.

carta

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2002
Madison, AL
Dual processor-only when plugged in?

I don't know hardware but I do work on a G3 PowerBook and it's plugged in most of the time. So, if Apple did go with a dual-processor PowerBook, could it switch between single and dual processor depending on whether it ran on battery power or on AC? To put it another way, perhaps it would run as a single processor while on battery, then switch to dual processor when plugged in. Possible or practical?

Rags

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2002
IS there going to be any PowerBook updates Paris at all? Just askin' I wouldn't mind having two CPU's in a notebook :)

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
I hope there are revisions to both the iBook and the TiBook... we need them bad. Give the TiBook dual processors, then the iBook can get a G4...I like that.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Sure they'll be a dual processor

That is, Dual 50Mhz.:eek:

Seriously, these rumors are almost bad as the Dual 1.6 Ghz powermacs. Although I have never sat down and used one, I have heard that the TiBook has some major heat issues. Putting a dual processor in it would only make the problem worse.

On the other hand, Apple is an amazing company and anything is possible.

On the third hand, that superdrive looks to be a perfect addition to the next round of PowerBooks.:cool:

P-Worm

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
I agree that I would rather see a superdrive and bluetooth (and hell, how about a GPS receiver) bulit into the new portables, rather than a second processor. I don't spend to much time being processor bound, except when i am trying to run VPC.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
The TiBook gets mighty hot with just a single 800 mhz processor. Unless they have a new processor up their sleeves, I don't see this happening.

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
Is there actually room for another processor? The insides on my Powerbook look pretty cramped as it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.