Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
Hi

As we know the "USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter" does not! allow the Macbook 12" 2017 to output 4K@60Hz because HDMI is limited to version 1.4, so only 4K@30Hz.

Goal: Power the Macbook and!! output 4k@60Hz

Can an adapter with Displayport + UBS-C (power delivery) allow the Macbook 12" 2017 to output 4k@60Hz and deliver power?
->

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I have the MacBook 12" 2017, and get 4K @ 60Hz and power, via USB-C, directly into my LG 4K monitor.

What display are you using?

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
-> Any standard 4K display with a Display-Port input.
("Normal" displays don't offer UBS-C direct IO ..and there is a hefty premium for that)

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
H
-> Any standard 4K display with a Display-Port input.
("Normal" displays don't offer UBS-C direct IO ..and there is a hefty premium for that)
I think you are asking for something that doesn’t exist.
Either use USB-C for everything, or DP along with a power supply.

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
I'm only asking if above adapter (the Dell one) works with the Macbook 12" - powering it and driving a 4k@60hz display through display port🤷‍♀️

gjesp

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2020
I take it back. Just looked up the specs on Dells website and from what I can tell it does support power pass-through and it even supports up to 90W so I don't see any reason why it should not work. Most adapters will only power peripherals that are connected to it so it is not pass-through in that sense, but it does not seem to be the case here.

Let us know how it works if you end up bying it

"Turn your port-scarce USB-C notebook to a mobile workstation with this Dell USB-C to HDMI/ DisplayPort adapter that comes with power pass-through. Its USB-C pass-through allows you to charge your laptop up to 90W while connecting to an external 4K HDR display at 60Hz simultaneously without compromising on screen performance."

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I looked into this a little bit ago as I was contemplating buying a 4K monitor. I ended up going in another direction, but from the research I did, you can actually do what you are asking, but there are only certain adapters that allow it. I THINK this is the one that was recommended, but I can't say for sure: USB C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter UPTab (4K@60Hz) USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 to MDP Adapter with Power Port for New iPad Pro 2018, MacBook Pro 2016-2019, Galaxy S10 and More USB Type-C Devices (Silver)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.