Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Hello,

suddenly it started to reboot itself once in a day for a week. And today just turned off.
When trying to turn on it showed sign: Folder with question mark.

Then after 1h I turned on again and it boot up. I first checked Disk Utility and it was not showing SSD model it just showed disk identifier like: disk0s2

And one more thing I didn't find SMART status field

Pic 1: Disk Utility

3fab3110-0b98-40fa-b376-2d7805308dea

Pic 2: All the info about Storage

c19b35f1-4a28-482a-bfcf-03bd04402fff

Does it mean that SSD or motherboard is dying? What could you suggest me to do in this situation?

Thank you in advance!

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
The symptoms sound similar to my trash can issues when the SSD was having serious issues a few years ago. Run Apple diagnostics and see what that says. You could also confirm whether it’s the SSD or something else by attempting to run your MacBook off an external drive, but one step at a time.

Last edited:

andste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
The symptoms sound similar to my trash can issues when the SSD was having serious issues a few years ago. Run Apple diagnostics and see what that says. You could also confirm whether it’s the SSD or something else by attempting to run your MacBook off an external drive, but one step at a time
Hey thanks for reply, where I should run diagnostics from boot recovery or on utility disk? If you mean about utility disk it has no issues :)

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Hey thanks for reply, where I should run diagnostics from boot recovery or on utility disk? If you mean about utility disk it has no issues :)
I forgot the link. Follow these instructions

I would put good money on one of the temperature sensors. It is failing and causing this

Reactions: andste
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.