Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Groganj89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2021
Hi All

I hope you are well

I have an A1534 12 Inch 2015 MacBook. I have owned it for some time and whilst its a controversial MacBook (as in some people see it as a waste), I absolutely love it!

Recently a couple of the keys have died on it, So I bought a replacement keyboard flex cable (even though the old one looked fine). During dissemble, I had somewhat of a small seizure and I didn't drop anything but it was in the process of holding the back up so the audio flex cable ripped.

I haven't replaced this yet but I figured if I didn't use the audio, at least I could test the keyboard cable. However, I have reassembled everything and now none of the keyboard works (accept the power button) and the trackpad does not work either.

Couple of questions:

- Could I have shorted something out on it somehow?
- How important is the audio flex (and subsequently the audio daughter board)? could this be causing the keyboard and trackpad not to work, I am going to order a replacement cable, I just wanted to ask before I spent any more money on it.

Something to note, everything else on the MacBook works fine, If I plug in a USB C dock and a keyboard and mouse it works as expected. I can press the power button on the keyboard and that works fine, it's just the read of the kayboard and trackpad.

Any insight would be massively appreciated.

Thank you :)

real_mon2

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2023
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Remove all power. Carefully review the keyboard cable. Be sure to lift the latch bar and firmly seat the flat flex cable deep into the logic board socket. Then carefully lock in the latch bar. Use both hands to balance the open and close plastic bar to secure this cable. The parts are dainty and can easily be damaged. Often, due to how small the parts are, the replacement process is not without some pain. The trackpad is linked to the same cable.

Groganj89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2021
Remove all power. Carefully review the keyboard cable. Be sure to lift the latch bar and firmly seat the flat flex cable deep into the logic board socket. Then carefully lock in the latch bar. Use both hands to balance the open and close plastic bar to secure this cable. The parts are dainty and can easily be damaged. Often, due to how small the parts are, the replacement process is not without some pain. The trackpad is linked to the same cable.
Thanks for your reply bud, I tried multiple fittings of the cable and also even bought a new cable and tried that and still the same, keyboard is non responsive accept for the power button (to power down the machine when I need to have a look at the inside)

real_mon2

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2023
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
If you are still working on this repair..can you confirm that the replacement cables are indeed for this model? Post the cable part numbers. This is important as there are different number of contacts and also different contact pitch values for the cable ends. Some may fit the same but will not pass through the signals from one side to the other. Suggest to bring in a known good track pad for testing as well. Amazon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.