Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecoke091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
I recently bought a first gen macbook (2006, not late 2006) and it was described as having no OS. I have fixed many of these before by simply reinstalling OSx on it, and replacing a hard drive here and there, but this one is different.
If i do not press any keys on boot, just the power button, i eventually get the flashing question mark folder.
I have multiple disks for each OS, both retail and ones I made, but none of them have worked at all.
I have tried every boot mode, "c" appears to do nothing, "command+D" does nothing, "alt/option" brings me to a white screen where i can move around the black cursor, but nothing else is on the screen, PRAM mode appears to work somewhat (restarts the computer and i hear the boot chime again, but back to whiteness) and holding the touchpad button while booting is the only way to eject disks so far.
I have also tried different hard drives, different compatible RAM, and I disassembled the macbook (dont worry, ive been fixing electronics for years) and nothing seemed abnormal.
I have done my best to search the internet and this forum looking for a solution, but nothing seems to make this macbook work any differently.
I am currently on my Windows PC, and i do not have any other apple computers at the moment, so i was wondering if there was a way I could possibly install OS X (latest for this macbook is Tiger 10.4.6) onto a formatted SATA hard drive using my windows computer? or are there any other possible solutions to this issue?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Do you have a retail 10.6 disc? That will boot and install on your Macbook. Also, the Command-D will only work on a Macbook of that vintage if it is running an OS that was originally installed from its restore discs.

thecoke091

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
i didnt think 10.6 worked on the first gen, i could be wrong, but the apple site said that the latest possible update for the first generation macbook was 10.4.6

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That was what they shipped with. Snow Leopard, 10.6, is supported on all early Intell based Macs. Apple still sells the discs for about $20.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Even if you could do something to install 10.4.6 - you would need the original disks. The commercial (OS X 10.4.x) Tiger installer was PPC only. All the intel installs were system specific.
The original Macbooks mostly shipped with 512MB - so you would need to make sure you have sufficient installed for Snow Leopard, which needs 1GB of RAM

PKBeam

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
NSW, Australia
You could try to eliminate the possibility of faults in the hard drive/optical drive by using both USB ports for installer and storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.