Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
hi all,

I have a late 2009 macbook with latest high sierra on it.
I replaced the bootable SATA hdd with a 500GB SATA disk as it failed.
I decided to add a secondary hdd, a Plextor SATA SSD, model PX-128m6Pro firmware 1.02, dated 2014.
on the DVD bay !

I installed osx high sierra latest as well and kept it there. Startup was the SATA HDD.
I was using photoshop to save scratch on the Plextor SSD to speedup operations only.

Yesterday the Plextor stopped working. Today i reboot and OSX says, the disk inserted is unreadable...
initialize, ignore etc.... I clicked ignore as i could not work with OSX - finder was crashing and ctrl-esc combination could not force quit finder, as it was missing from the list...

I run some hdd diagnostics and despite the fact SSD was shown even on disk utility, now it is not shown anymore. does not mount at all, no access.

I am not sure if i have to reformat it or not and how to mount it, but if it failed, i guess it will fail again...
So i was looking to buy a samsung SSD, model V-NAND SSD EVO 850, 850GB for this macbook.
Does anybody knows if this 850GB capacity can be supported by my mcb please ?
If is not supported any other recommendations for a higher capacity SSD.

I am not sure if Plextor crashed because is in the DVD bay. It was there over 6 months, nothing happened anyway...

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
Before replacing the Plextor, try accessing the data using a USB enclosure. It's possible that something is wrong with the DVD drive caddy inside the MacBook.
thanks for the tip. i was thinking of it today as well... the caddy...
i will disassemble tomorrow and inform back...

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
Audit13, its the caddy for sure. I managed to mount the ssd via external enclosure. although the ssd has virtually no signs of usage, i got an overallocation error and i will see how to fix it as it does not get repaired by d.utility.

i will try now to see where can i get a reliable caddy from EU asap.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
yesterday i started reinstallation of a new caddy OWC data doubler, and despite the fact i dont like it... it did not work too.

I also bought a flex cable just in case things go wrong... i decided to replace the flex cable and bingo !
SSD is now visible again. conclusion... it was the flex cable which caused all issues...

now i have problem with my ssd but i will solve that as well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.