Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kxtix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2023
Hi, please remove this if it’s posted in the wrong place/not allowed, just looking for some clarity on wtf is going on with my Mac.
Long story short, I thought my charging cable had broken as it was no longer charging my Mac but maintaining the battery, bought a new one (70W) new one is also not working. My mac will now only turn on when plugged in and power off instantly if the cable is disconnected, maintaining only 1%.
Opened up the back to check out how the battery was looking and didn’t seem to me (tech noob) that anything looked swollen or broken. (Attached photo)
Ran a diagnostics test which concluded the ‘battery may not be charging correctly’ could this mean it’s an issue with the charging port?
Am I being dumb, is the battery actually done in and needing replaced? I’d love to be able to save myself a trip to the repair shop if anyone can help me out with the best course of action.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 90B0C7E2-AC59-4E16-82CF-88873EB22462.jpeg
    90B0C7E2-AC59-4E16-82CF-88873EB22462.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 220

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
You can try resetting the SMC power management system.

If that doesn't work then most likely your battery needs to be replaced.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you use an app like the free "Coconut Battery" on it, what does it show about the charging capacity of the battery?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
If you use an app like the free "Coconut Battery" on it, what does it show about the charging capacity of the battery?
How accurate do you think Coconut is Fish?
It says my battery condition is 'good'. But it's not, the laptop consistently goes from 20% to 7% every time it's used now. Was there a 'very good/excellent' before the 'good', I can't remember, but charge and design capacity drops and drops, but it still says the battery is 'good'? So now wondering how much use that app is to me anymore?

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Take it to a service center and ask them to inspect the Logic board.

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I use the app Sensei and iStat Menus to monitor the health of my laptop.

53187415606_805562e201_z.jpg

Sensei shows the status of my battery in this manner shown above. To me it sounds like your battery is gone which is why you have to keep the laptop plugged in. To confirm you should have an app that monitors your battery. Replacing the battery is not too difficult and the iFixit web site sells replacement batteries as well as have detailed fixit guides to reference.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
How accurate do you think Coconut is Fish?
It says my battery condition is 'good'. But it's not, the laptop consistently goes from 20% to 7% every time it's used now. Was there a 'very good/excellent' before the 'good', I can't remember, but charge and design capacity drops and drops, but it still says the battery is 'good'? So now wondering how much use that app is to me anymore?

Getting back to Coconut when I put the battery in few months back it always said it was good, and when I posted this 12 days ago, said 'good', but now, after months of it behaving strangely, it now says 'check battery', so I don't think it's accurate at all.

Coconut went from 'good' to 'check battery'. Is there no inbetween? Battery OEM 8 months old.
Mac readings says 'Service Battery'.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The descriptive term (good, normal, failing, etc.) is not worth much.
What about the reported values for Cycle Count, and Full Charge Capacity?
You may also see a battery health percentage. Less than 80% is usually an indication that the battery is ready to be replaced.
I also agree with ApolloBoy in post #7--some of the cells in the battery are visibly swelling...

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Yeahhh I'd get that battery replaced because the swelling will only get worse and it can damage your machine if you leave it in there long enough...

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
The descriptive term (good, normal, failing, etc.) is not worth much.
What about the reported values for Cycle Count, and Full Charge Capacity?
You may also see a battery health percentage. Less than 80% is usually an indication that the battery is ready to be replaced.
I also agree with ApolloBoy in post #7--some of the cells in the battery are visibly swelling...
Sorry Delta, me or OP?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Sorry Delta, me or OP?
You are offering the information about the descriptive term that you found. I am simply saying that is not enough, without also showing the reported numbers that are also available, which show more detail about the health of the battery.
And, yes, the OP has not responded, and only posted the one time.

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Mine is 117 cycles, It's a goner, I was trying to revive a 2011 MBP but I think after a new battery and other upgrades, it may be time to retire it now.

I wondered if there should have been anything between 'good' to 'check battery' descriptively. Or is that is how it goes. That's why I didn't find it helpful.

As we speak.. running on battery now

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The most helpful relevant part of your screenpost is Design Capacity, showing the present number of 74.8%
Again, less than 80% is a baseline number that is often considered to be an exhausted battery, ready for replacement.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
The most helpful relevant part of your screenpost is Design Capacity, showing the present number of 74.8%
Again, less than 80% is a baseline number that is often considered to be an exhausted battery, ready for replacement.

Thanks. It’s pretty much just been replaced. January

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Replaced in January, and it's already dropped below 80% ?
Hmmm.... Apple service parts are usually 90 days warranty, but might be worth asking about a replacement for an OEM battery.
However, if that is for that 2011 MBpro, then not likely an OEM part. Apple would have moved the old batteries (and any other service parts) out 4 or 5 years ago.
The cheap third-party batteries that you will get now, can often be a crap-shoot. It's not uncommon to get a quick failure on those. And --- there you are.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Replaced in January, and it's already dropped below 80% ?
Hmmm.... Apple service parts are usually 90 days warranty, but might be worth asking about a replacement for an OEM battery.
However, if that is for that 2011 MBpro, then not likely an OEM part. Apple would have moved the old batteries (and any other service parts) out 4 or 5 years ago.
The cheap third-party batteries that you will get now, can often be a crap-shoot. It's not uncommon to get a quick failure on those. And --- there you are.
Wasn't from Apple, they won't supply what they call 'vintage', but was a genuine OEM Apple branded, a Simplo, according to Coconut and the system report, but they don't stock them anymore. So no chance of getting one, but like you say, all the others will be a chance. Not overly flush at the mo, but will I miss a Pro, if I go for a new Air?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.