Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Penlocky

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
I have ordered i7 16gb 512 Macbook, i7 specifically in hopes that it will be snappier than the i5 as time goes by. However I have a lingering feeling that the battery life on the i7 model will be worse than the i5.

What are your opinions and experiences on the same class of CPU i5/i7 and its effect on battery life in normal web browsing/youtube/email, keynote, pages and numbers tasks? I suspect that i7 might drain more battery in web browsing because of the ads abusing the higher clock speed of the processor.
I also plan to have it run the LG UltraFine 4k and the i7 Intel UHD 615 has a higher boost frequency of 1000 than the i5 at 900. Will that higher boost result in smoother UI animations overall?
And will the i7 result in a snappier system for web browsing down the line after a few years?

Or is i5 better? I'd like to hear from owners of either the i5 or i7 MacBooks or anyone with experience in processors =D

Thank you very much!

Edit: Sorry I forgot to say that cash is not a concern as well. Just want a best future proof snappy experience on this Macbook and with optimal battery life.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.