Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisgohcs

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
hi

my macbook is running at 76degrees while using photoshop cs2. i am just editing some effects.

i mean is it suppose to be like this?!
a pc might perform better than this.

it just went up again to 83 degrees.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
76 degrees fahrenheit? That's awesome, what are you complaining about! ;) Seriously though, from what I've seen of cpu temps, that sounds like it's within normal range. Remember, that's just the internal temp, not the external temp on the case.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
a pc has fans thicker than the macbook to keep it cool. An iMac or Mac Pro would be quieter and cooler than a MacBook as well.

If you really think its getting too hot, download smcfancontrol. I've used it in Leopard, and it works fine.

chrisgohcs

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
its not fahrenheit. its degrees celsius! its so hot!!
will smc fan speed control software spoil the internal hardware?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
its not fahrenheit. its degrees celsius! its so hot!!

I know, that was the joke. What specifically are you concerned about, that the temp is unsafe for the computer, or that the case is uncomfortably hot for you to keep on your lap?

chrisgohcs

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
haha i didn know u were joking.

but i thought photoshop suppose to work natively on a mac?
why when i use photoshop in a pc it would not run at such a high temp?
which also means that it would not use that much amount of energy.

worried if the cpu will burn.

is the smcfancontrol thing safe. like to alter the things inside the computer does not seems appealing and safe to me.

thanks

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
worried if the cpu will burn.

If that's what you're worried about then stop worrying. The computer would automatically shut off WAY before the temp got so hot that it could damage the machine. And the temps you said you were getting are well within the specification's range for acceptable operating temperatures.

If it aint broke, don't fix it. If you go monkeying around with your fans then that's when you start putting yourself in danger of damage. A little information is a dangerous thing. Take whatever utility you're using to measure your cpu temps and dump it in the trash.

p.s. any statement that's followed by a winking smiley is always a joke. And any sentence the begins with the phrase "Seriously though," also means that the preceding sentence was a joke.

chrisgohcs

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
If that's what you're worried about then stop worrying. The computer would automatically shut off WAY before the temp got so hot that it could damage the machine. And the temps you said you were getting are well within the specification's range for acceptable operating temperatures.

If it aint broke, don't fix it. If you go monkeying around with your fans then that's when you start putting yourself in danger of damage. A little information is a dangerous thing. Take whatever utility you're using to measure your cpu temps and dump it in the trash.

haha quite true. thanks alot=)
but abit disappointed that the macbook cannot perform ps natively.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
haha quite true. thanks alot=)
but abit disappointed that the macbook cannot perform ps natively.

A Macbook does run photoshop natively. Either you're incorrect in your assumption about whether it's running natively or not, or your using an old version of ps. If you're only basing your assumption on the cpu temp, then you're basing your assumption on nothing.

skins0304

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
My macbook easily hits 70-72 degrees C when running Logic.

It even hit 70 last night when I was playing Peggle.

As far as I know, those temps are somewhat normal.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I'm currently using handbrake and my cpu is at 76, last night however i was using handbrake, neooffice, transmission, firefox, and mail (plus more maybe)....it was up at 90+ for some time and didn't like that :D

I had that screen which informs you all is lost, and you must reboot...then when i rebooted my xp partition was not there!

I got slightly worried since all my uni work is on the xp partition (but backed up) but eventually it came back.

So, back on topic, your 83 is fine, and besides, if your computer blows up due to using photoshop it's a warranty thing, as you're only doing what the computer was designed to do!!

p.s. any statement that's followed by a winking smiley is always a joke. And any sentence the begins with the phrase "Seriously though," also means that the preceding sentence was a joke.

What a profound explanation! It should be made into a sticky!! ;) <--- See what I did there!? :D

chrisgohcs

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Kinda like this?

Yeah.. I tried cooking my Mac...

It's still ticking!:D

I'm waiting for the summer, baby!
Would love to see how this system handles the external heat 35°C+ and the high humidity 80%?...

whoa i mean thats really hot.

in a long run i mean,its not good for the laptop to run a such temp right?
i need to use ps for work,hence need to spend a long time on it.
and i do run the same ps on my pc laptop which doesnt go so hot!

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
whoa i mean thats really hot.

in a long run i mean,its not good for the laptop to run a such temp right?

You need to stop assuming things and jumping to conclusions. That temperature is perfectly acceptable for a cpu. Stop worrying about temperature at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.