Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longjohnk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
I've got a 2011 Macbook Pro 13" that developed an issue with the display. It turns black after the machine runs for a bit (usually 10 min). It turns black but can be restored by turning the brightness all the way down then all the way back up. The display backlight turns off completely anywhere from one notch from full brightness down to 2 notches from total darkness. Sometime it displays no symptoms after being powered down for awhile and starting back up, again, only for 10-20 minutes. I have reset the PRAM and SMC several times and have tried two different display assemblies. The first assembly only displayed very odd greenish stripes, nothing further. I then sent the logic board away to have the LVDS connector replaced, as powerbookmedic, who I bought the first replacement display from, told me the LVDS connector was probably the issue if their display didn't work properly either. The ebay repair shop said they couldn't find anything wrong with the connector and sent it back to me. I just recently bought another used display off amazon and installed it, and the new display has almost identical darkening problems as the original.

does anyone have any idea what I need to do to fix this problem? The computer runs perfectly otherwise and I often just use it at my desk with an external monitor.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Just out of curiosity, if you boot into Safe Mode (hold Shift down on boot) does the problem go away? If it does, it's some weird software issue.

Do you live near an Apples store? Their diagnostics are pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.