Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mister.T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2023
Hi,

I'm new with Mac and I've only purchased iPads and iPhones and wanting to take a big jump into the world of MacBooks, which would you guys recommend for a total noob on the Mac OS. I'm looking at these, but not sure if I'm doing right.

Apple MacBook Pro 14 or 16-inch

Thankyou

Dolphins

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2023
That will depend on what you need to do with MacBook, what is your user case. Without telling us that, nobody will be able to advise you what to buy.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

Mister.T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2023
Hi, I'll be using it for coding, editing, adobe apps... general internet browsing.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
No offence but this is a very unspecified question, some direction for answers would be great.

What have you considered so far? Have you taken a look at the Buyer's Guide at the top of the page? Have you compared them in real life, is weight and size important to you? Have you considered MacBook Air, maybe the upcoming 15" could be interesting? Any requirements for budget?

Reactions: Mister.T

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

From the use case you posted in #3 above, I'd say you could choose either the 14" or 16" base models and do fine. But...

... it might be worth upgrading to a 1tb SSD. This is 2x as fast as the 512gb SSD (due to different chip arrangement).

Either of these get you into a VERY capable MBP, without "diving in too deep", money-wise.

Also, look around for sales before you "leap".
And... you can save some money by buying from the Apple online refurbished store. Products generally will be indistinguishable from new, AND they come with a full 1-year warranty, AND you can get AppleCare for them, if you want.

Reactions: Mister.T

Mister.T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2023
Hi,

Thanks people, I took your advice and ordered the "16-inch MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 16.2-inch with 32GB Memory, 1TB SSD storage".

Mister.T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2023
I sent it back and switched to the MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 14-inch with 64GB Memory, 2TB SSD storage)" any advice to save battery life/drain?

Chris_99

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2023
I sent it back and switched to the MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 14-inch with 64GB Memory, 2TB SSD storage)" any advice to save battery life/drain?
hi what is you exact configuration? how many GPU cores? how do you like your device so far? any regrets? how is battery life under heavy and under light load? how are thermals and fan noise for you? would love to hear first hand user experience !

thank you !

Mister.T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2023
hi what is you exact configuration? how many GPU cores? how do you like your device so far? any regrets? how is battery life under heavy and under light load? how are thermals and fan noise for you? would love to hear first hand user experience !

thank you !
MacBook Pro (M2 Max with 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 16-core neural engine, 14-inch with 64GB Memory, 2TB SSD storage). I love it, not sure about heavy load as it seems to handle what ever I throw at it. I use it mostly for coding and adobe applications. The battery lasts a day easy.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Is the Mac I purchased above a silicon or normal?
All of the M-series (like your M2) are "Apple Silicon." They use an ARM instruction set, chips designed by Apple and fabricated by TSMC. The previous architecture was "Intel," literally the same kinds of chips that went into Windows machines, which is why they could easily run Windows in Boot Camp. Apple Silicon is MUCH more efficient and quite powerful as well, depending on what you're doing with them.

Mister.T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2023
All of the M-series (like your M2) are "Apple Silicon." They use an ARM instruction set, chips designed by Apple and fabricated by TSMC. The previous architecture was "Intel," literally the same kinds of chips that went into Windows machines, which is why they could easily run Windows in Boot Camp. Apple Silicon is MUCH more efficient and quite powerful as well, depending on what you're doing with them.
Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.