Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I have heard you can not upgrade the HDD which is supposed to be a 1.8" drive in the Air. Is this true, and can you swap the HDD for a 256GB SSD because I need more space and before I buy one I want to make sure I can upgrade the HDD without voiding Apple's Warranty?

mrrippey

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2009
i do not think there are any 256GB SSD's which fit the Air just yet. If you can get your hands on the 128 Samsung that comes with the Air I guess you can swap it out.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
I want to make sure I can upgrade the HDD without voiding Apple's Warranty?

No, I believe once you swapped your HDD,
your warranty is voided.

besides, there is no easy way of performing a HDD swap unless you can get ur hands on one of those Samsung SATA/LIF 1.8" that comes with the SSD MBAs

an alternative, the SATA forum has just released their 6.0Gbps standard a few days ago and they officially included the SATA/LIF format
this may be a hint or potential for some future product release that MBA rev.B users may benefit from
but it's gonna take some time before the first batch hit the market though:eek:

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
No, I believe once you swapped your HDD,
your warranty is voided.

besides, there is no easy way of performing a HDD swap unless you can get ur hands on one of those Samsung SATA/LIF 1.8" that comes with the SSD MBAs

an alternative, the SATA forum has just released their 6.0Gbps standard a few days ago and they officially included the SATA/LIF format
this may be a hint or potential for some future product release that MBA rev.B users may benefit from
but it's gonna take some time before the first batch hit the market though:eek:

Interesting news indeed. One of the biggest problems with the MBA is not just the limited drive space, it's the non-existent secondary market for replacement/upgraded drives.

I think 128 GB is too small for many users to store all files and entertainment media. It is about 30 GB too small for me.

Anyways, I have seen nothing on the market that will work in the MBA rev B.

The rev B MBA takes a 1.8" SATA-II/LIF Drive that is 5mm tall. I have found nothing on the secondary market. There is a thread where someone did a conversion by soldering the LIF cable to make it work with a Samsung SSD that is basically the same exact drive as the SSD Apple uses. It's a lot of work and requires some advanced soldering.

I see the rev C MBA evolution as naturally having a 256 GB SSD, but there isn't one available that will fit with the current rev B drive size. Let's hope Apple has it worked out with Samsung.

I really wish there was some way to fit a standard 2.5" SATA-II into the next MBA... I would even be willing to accept a slightly thicker space where the drive fits to make it happen. I really would love to be able to use an Intel SSD.

Anyways, that's all I know.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
Interesting news indeed. One of the biggest problems with the MBA is not just the limited drive space, it's the non-existent secondary market for replacement/upgraded drives.

I think 128 GB is too small for many users to store all files and entertainment media. It is about 30 GB too small for me.

Anyways, I have seen nothing on the market that will work in the MBA rev B.

The rev B MBA takes a 1.8" SATA-II/LIF Drive that is 5mm tall. I have found nothing on the secondary market. There is a thread where someone did a conversion by soldering the LIF cable to make it work with a Samsung SSD that is basically the same exact drive as the SSD Apple uses. It's a lot of work and requires some advanced soldering.

I see the rev C MBA evolution as naturally having a 256 GB SSD, but there isn't one available that will fit with the current rev B drive size. Let's hope Apple has it worked out with Samsung.

I really wish there was some way to fit a standard 2.5" SATA-II into the next MBA... I would even be willing to accept a slightly thicker space where the drive fits to make it happen. I really would love to be able to use an Intel SSD.

Anyways, that's all I know.

hehee~ I'm one heck of a rev.B base model user who is desperate to put a SSD in it:p
for me, even the current 120GB 4200rpm HDD is plentiful for me as I have a base machine and everything is available via network sharing.
I store only my projects/works/docs/emails on my Air, that's all.

All I ask for is faster HDD speed and minimum battery consumption,
that's where the SSDs step in (in my case)

Actually, you don't really need a 5mm SSD.
if you are using a HDD, then yea, you'll prbly need a 5mm HDD, cuz there are shock-absorbing foams to add into the whole formula.
but since SSD has literally no mechanic parts involved, you can prbly get away with 8mm height disks

I have seen that cable/ribbon modification thread,
and I want a x18-M/E in my MBA...
besides, and as other keen users are, I am also struggling to come up with the cable, or a secured way of modifying the current one
that's why I'm still quite holding off

for rev.C, let's see what will come up
I agree that it will eventually grow and ship with a 256GB SSD,
but as mentioned above, it has no use to me.

as in one of APPL's ex-slogan "No compromise"
there's no need to get stuck with the 2.5" when intel manufactures x18s as well
and in esp in these days of the SSDs, there are virtually no size-related performance difference in SSDs
(unlike the old days that 1.8" has to be in 4200rpm, and 2.5" has to be in 5400rpm...)

see how it goes, if SSD drive swap is a clear 'do-able' in the rev.C,
I may just trade in my current rev.B and perform the swap.
Not that I am any unhappy with the rev.B,
I just want things even better;):cool:

wpd7

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
San Diego
I'm trying to do the exact opposite- I'm trying to find an adapter to get these SSDs to work for a standard SATA interface- any leads on this? Got 2 sitting around... :D

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Talk about waking a thread from the DEAD! This thread hasn't been posted to in over six months. Could have used any of the more recent threads covering this topic.

I upgraded my SSD in my rev C MBA to a 128 GB SSD from Runcore. I am getting about 3X the performance in read and 2X in write. All in all, it's worth every penny to upgrade from even the same size Apple SSD. For an HDD owner, it's a no brainer. For $400 you can make your MBA feel faster than new. That's for 128 GB SSD. To top that, you can sell your original drive to make some money.

wpd7

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
San Diego
Scottsdale-

I noticed those Runcores supposedly comes with a USB interface enclosure- is that the case?

I was wondering if I can basically take these Apple SSDs and use them some other way.

If you can point me to a way to sell them, I'll be glad to do so and just buy a standard SATA SSD for my purposes instead of trying to find an adapter that works!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Scottsdale-

I noticed those Runcores supposedly comes with a USB interface enclosure- is that the case?

I was wondering if I can basically take these Apple SSDs and use them some other way.

If you can point me to a way to sell them, I'll be glad to do so and just buy a standard SATA SSD for my purposes instead of trying to find an adapter that works!

Absolutely. It comes with a USB enclosure and USB cable. It serves two purposes. One, it allows you to transfer the files from MBA to new Runcore SSD in enclosure. Two, put stock SSD/HDD in enclosure as a backup drive. A really nice fast backup drive.

I would really recommend ANYONE/EVERYONE with an SSD to upgrade to the Runcore. It's ALMOST free if you think about actual value of the stock SSD. They are selling for over $350 on eBay last I knew. I had a person offer me $425 for my stock SSD, which pays for a Runcore SSD. For those with an HDD, it's a no brainer update to make their MBA super fast and have newfound life.

The Runcore SSD read speed is over 3X faster than the stock SSD. The write speed is over 2X faster! This Runcore SSD is FAST. I highly recommend it. A simple upgrade that adds value to the MBA and renews it like a new Mac. It's really fun. Definitely worth the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.